RE: [TolkienDiscussions] The Movies

  • Gaufridus Baltimoris
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 5, 2005
      I agree. In the end, after the EE's were all released, I was generally disappointed with Peter Jackson's overall effort. In short, he placed too much emphasis on Form and not enough emphasis on Substance. Worse yet, what little Substance there was to his films was altered fundamentally from Tolkien's original, with the end result of a completely different story told from a completely different context. I hope that they dont close the door on a better future attempt.GB--- On Tue 04/05, Paul Westermeyer < westermeyer@... > wrote:From: Paul Westermeyer [mailto: westermeyer@...]To: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.comDate: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:10:45 -0400Subject: [TolkienDiscussions] The MoviesFor me, Fellowship was the best of the trilogy, and not by coincidence the best of the three. Two Towers was decent, but strayed too far from the source. I was not put off by the elves of Lorien showing up at helm's Deep, because the movie couldn't show us the battles around Lorien, Mirkwood, or the Lonely Mountain. So I accepted it in much the same way I was resigned to losing Bombadil. Aragorn being lost for a while was lame, but not a deadly flaw. I thought the _theatrical_ version of RotK was better then Two Towers, but not quite as good as Fellowship. I expected to love the extended version, which i thought would fix the problems. Then Jackson took one of my favorite scenes in the books and defiled it. The Witch-King did _not_ break Gandalf's staff at the gates of Minas Tirith, and may not have even been able to defeat him. This was the post-Balrog Gandalf, Gandalf the White.It's quite clear the Professor would have despised the movies. They lost much of what was important in his work. I never thought they would be made, and they were a valiant if shallow try, but they were in the end a failure, and one which closes the door on seeing a proper LotR on film.Ah, well.-- "...How shall a man judge what to do in such times?!""As he has ever judged," said Aragorn "Good and evil have not changed since yesteryear..."J.R.R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers_Paul Westermeyer, westermeyer@... Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take advantage of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls, Members, and Calendar sections.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TolkienDiscussions

    • Paul Westermeyer
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 5, 2007
        >> Posted by: "Matthew Beyers" matt_beyers@... matt_beyers
        >> Date: Tue Sep 4, 2007 2:05 pm ((PDT))
        >>
        >>John,
        >>
        >>Not to get in the middle of a fight, but I can't stand idly by and see
        >>someone berated unnecessarily. As an outsider looking in, I have to
        >>say that it was your post, John, that seemed the most offensive and
        >>that Paul was responding to your tone. Perhaps you'd do better to
        >>re-read your posts before hitting the send button and accusing others
        >>of being offensive....
        >>
        >>In particular, I found the phrases "I'm simply astounded", "I'm not
        >>surprised to discover the companies are hiring someone who feels that
        >>way about Tolkien", and "Tolkien would certainly never have approved
        >>of the movies" to be egotistical, condescending and just plain "I know
        >>better than you" rude.
        >2.2. Re: The Movies
        > Posted by: "John Davis" mcxg46@... mcxg46
        > Date: Wed Sep 5, 2007 1:24 am ((PDT))
        >
        >Hi Matt,
        >
        >You are quoting Paul's words to me there, not mine. And yes, they were the
        >ones I found somewhat offensive.
        >
        >John

        He's quite right. Those are my words, and I stand by them. I think they are all completely true.

        That said, I'm not interested in continuing the argument either, it will go nowhere.

        In the spirit of funny parodies, and changing the subject, here's a website I discovered which I think is quite funny.

        "DM of the Rings" - A Webcomic of Lord of the Rings as a D&D campaign

        http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

        --
        "But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of the reader. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader and the other in the purposed domination of the author."

        J.R.R. Tolkien, 'Foreward to the Second Edition', The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, p7. 1965

        Paul Westermeyer, westermeyer@...