Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Star Wars vs. LOTR

  • Khylea
    Message 1 of 333 , Dec 5, 2004
      Okay, I've kept quiet on this, mainly because I enjoy both LOTR and SW, but
      this SW and GL bashing has GOT to stop!!!! GL was NOT into this for the
      money, nor was SW originally written with thoughts of making lots of money.
      He did not sit down one day and say "okay, now what story can I write that
      will make me a multi-millionaire and that will spawn 5 other movies to make
      me one of the wealthiest men in Hollywood?" He had an idea for a world, a
      story, he wanted to create, and sat down and created it. Have any of you who
      are bashing his world ever done such a thing? Have you ever written anything
      that others enjoy reading, much less that others have wanted to make movies
      out of?

      GL has put huge amounts of his money and his time into making SW of the
      screen match what he sees in his head. He put millions of his own money into
      developing and certifying theaters for THX sound.....sound that will make
      other movies also sound better, not just his. When the technology finally
      caught up with his vision and he could make the original trilogy the way he
      wanted to at the start, the studio thought it was too much of a risk to
      insert new scenes and re-release it. He again put millions of his own money
      into re-mastering the movies and re-releasing them. He was taking a huge
      risk to get them back out there, taking a chance that die-hard fans would
      say he "ruined" the movies. But he felt he had to so that the audience could
      see the movies he had always envisioned. Did he do it with the idea of
      making a boatload of money? NO!!! How could he have? He would have had to
      know the re-releases would be popular, and he had no way of knowing that.

      And finally, the prequels were not "an afterthought since there was money to
      be made". They were always an integral part of the story...the beginnings of
      Anakin's downfall...they were necessary to show his downfall before parts
      four, five, and six could show his redemption. The whole story was written
      in his mind long before SW was originally released in theaters. The only
      reason he released SW instead of somewhere else along the storyline is
      because 1) he felt that was the strongest part of the storyline and 2) it
      was the only part that could truly stand alone as a complete story, so in
      case it was a bomb and he could never release anything else, he could at
      least have a complete story out there.

      Okay, I'm done and stepping off my soapbox now, but I hope I've made my
      point. There is nothing wrong with making comparisons between LOTR and SW,
      but can we keep the bashing out of this? The whole comparison thing is
      rather pointless anyway, IMHO...they are so dissimilar, it is like comparing
      apples to oranges.

      -Khylea
    • George
      Message 333 of 333 , Dec 21, 2004
        haha very funny...
        No, I actually got an A in my Constitutional Rights class two
        semesters ago...

        No this C is going to be in Islam Civilization to 1800... The
        problem was that the instructor was way too old to be teaching, was
        losing his hearing, and was so knowledgable in Asian historical
        linguistics and Islam and Persian history that he was way over our
        heads... He really didn't seem to understand that most of us had
        very little prior knowledge of the Islam world and taught it the way
        he would teach a Western History class...

        ~George

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob1138@c...>