Re: OT: The Turks

  • greekss454
    Message 1 of 333 , Nov 30, 2004
      Turkey is the only Muslim country that is secular, thanks in large
      part to the aforementioned, Mustafa Kemal or Attaturk. He reformed
      a great deal of the then collapsing Ottoman Empire to transform it
      into a more European nation because he plainly saw the lack of a
      stable future in the Arab world.

      That being said, Turkey is barely secular and is still a very Muslim
      country that needs to protect itself in a volitile region of the
      world. Turkey does not support terrorism in any way and is one of
      the few rays of hope that the Arab world can emerge from the dregs
      of civilization which it is right now. Turkey is one of the few
      Muslim nations that is sovereign, self sufficient, economically
      stable, has a disiplined, well organized military, an educated
      populace and is open to foreign interests. The rest of the Muslim
      world is not many of these things; most of the rest of the Arab
      world (not all the Muslim world, but the Arab world) is in a tight
      spot. They are all so dependent on the few people with money and
      all those people have their money because of a limited resource:
      Oil!!!

      ~George

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob1138@c...>
      wrote:
      > This is all very interesting (the real world history).
      >
      > I have very little knowledge on the subject. My impression was that
      > pre-WW I the Turkish Empire was being eaten away at the edges by
      the
      > Brits, Russians, etc. I guess the Greeks too if there was a war in
      the
      > 1820's. This chipping away at their land was why they allied with
      > Germany in WW I and why (when Germany lost) Britain was able to
      mandate
      > the creation of Israel, something British Jews (and other Jews
      around
      > the world) had been asking for since the 1880's. The British
      reneging on
      > the deal they made post-WW I regarding Israel is one big reason
      for the
      > Israeli-Palestinian conflict which has us all where we are today.
      But
      > the Turks are not a country that supports terrorism, are they? I
      thought
      > they were the closest thing to a real ally "the west" had in the
      region.

      > Is this correct? Can anyone modify or expand?
      >
      > (And please, let's try to stick to facts and not degenerate into a
      > political name-calling.)
      >
      > Rob
    • George
      Message 333 of 333 , Dec 21, 2004
        haha very funny...
        No, I actually got an A in my Constitutional Rights class two
        semesters ago...

        No this C is going to be in Islam Civilization to 1800... The
        problem was that the instructor was way too old to be teaching, was
        losing his hearing, and was so knowledgable in Asian historical
        linguistics and Islam and Persian history that he was way over our
        heads... He really didn't seem to understand that most of us had
        very little prior knowledge of the Islam world and taught it the way
        he would teach a Western History class...