Hobbit remains found!

  • xnemesis01
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2004
      aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20041027131709990027&cid=911

      And my sister says that Lord of the Rings isn't real.

      XNemesis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2004
        Sadly, this doesn't work unless you are an AOL subscriber.
        Tell us about it, X Nemesis!

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
          Stupid AOL! I hate it! And sadly it is my ISP. Curse it!

          Here's the article:
          LONDON (Oct 27) - Scientists in Australia have found a new species
          of hobbit-sized humans who lived about 18,000 years ago on an
          Indonesian island in a discovery that adds another piece to the
          complex puzzle of human evolution.

          The partial skeleton of Homo floresiensis, found in a cave on the
          island of Flores, is of an adult female that was 3 feet tall, had a
          chimpanzee-sized brain and was substantially different from modern
          humans.

          It shared the isolated island to the east of Java with miniature
          elephants and Komodo dragons. The creature walked upright, probably
          evolved into its dwarf size because of environmental conditions and
          coexisted with modern humans in the region for thousands of years.

          ''It is an extraordinarily important find,'' Professor Chris
          Stringer, of the Natural History Museum in London, told a news
          conference on Wednesday. ''It challenges the whole idea of what it
          is that makes us human.''

          Peter Brown of the University of New England in Armidale, Australia,
          and his colleagues made the discovery of the skull and other bones,
          and miniature tools in September 2003 while looking for records of
          modern human migration to Asia. They reported the finding in the
          science journal Nature.

          Finding these hominins on an isolated island in Asia, and with
          elements of modern human behavior in tool making and hunting, is
          truly remarkable and could not have been predicted by previous
          discoveries,'' Brown said in a statement.

          Local legends tell of hobbit-like creatures existing on islands long
          ago but there has been no evidence of them.

          The hominin family tree, which includes humans and pre-humans,
          diverged from the chimpanzee line about 7 million years ago. Early
          African hominins walked upright, were small and had tiny brains.

          The new species, dubbed ''Flores man,'' is thought to be a
          descendent of Homo erectus, which had a large brain, was full-sized
          and spread out from Africa to Asia about 2 million years ago.

          The new species became isolated on Flores and evolved into its dwarf
          form to conform with conditions, such as food shortages. Flores,
          which was probably never connected to the mainland, was home to a
          variety of exotic creatures including a dwarf form of the primitive
          elephant Stegodon.

          Modern humans had reached Australia about 45,000 years ago but they
          may not have passed through Flores. The scientists suspect the new
          species became extinct after a massive volcanic eruption on the
          island about 12,000 years ago.

          Brown and his colleagues have found the remains of seven other dwarf
          individuals at the same site since the first find.

          The other individuals all show similar characteristics, and over a
          time range that now extends from as long ago as 95,000 years to as
          recently as 13,000 years ago -- a population of hobbits that seemed
          to disappear at about the same time as the pygmy elephants that they
          hunted,'' said Bert Roberts, one of the authors of the Nature study.

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
          > Sadly, this doesn't work unless you are an AOL subscriber.
          > Tell us about it, X Nemesis!

          > From: xnemesis01 [mailto:xnemesis01@y...]
          >
          > aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?
          id=20041027131709990027&cid=911

          > And my sister says that Lord of the Rings isn't real.
          >
          > XNemesis
          >

          > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
          advantage
          > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
          Members,

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
            There are also several articles about it on BBC World Service http://news.bbc.co.uk

> [...]

            The other individuals all show similar characteristics, and over a
            time range that now extends from as long ago as 95,000 years to as
            recently as 13,000 years ago -- a population of hobbits that seemed
            to disappear at about the same time as the pygmy elephants that they
            hunted,'' said Bert Roberts, one of the authors of the Nature study.

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
            > Sadly, this doesn't work unless you are an AOL subscriber.
            > Tell us about it, X Nemesis!

            > From: xnemesis01 [mailto:xnemesis01@y...]
            >
            > aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?
            id=20041027131709990027&cid=911

            > And my sister says that Lord of the Rings isn't real.
            >
            > XNemesis
            >

            > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
            advantage
            > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ber7ts/M=313392.5504507.6581203.5263583/D=groups/S=1705019844:HM/EXP=1099598136/A=2392336/R=1/SIG=12alh5daa/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4708-23951-1039-8?mpt=1099511736887439> Zooba, Latest Hardcover Bestsellers - Always Free Shipping
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313392.5504507.6581203.5263583/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2392336/rand=569322493>

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
              Foolish, XssNemesisss, foolishhh. Musstn't use nasty AOL, no preciousss

              Good article though!

              From: xnemesis01 [mailto:xnemesis01@...]