Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Thinking hobbit genesis

  • peter d sippel
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2004
      Unfortunately, Tolkien never did give us any account of how the Hobbits
      came to be, and said they were vague about their own early history. It
      does appear that they are related to men, though I suppose they are a
      different species and I expect that if Tolkien knew about or was
      interested in such things he would probably have said their DNA would be
      different and incompatible. They did not ever seem to have any unique
      language of their own. There are the curious references that suggest that
      the ancestors of the modern Hobbits and the ancestors of the present day
      Riders of Rohan had been in contact, given that both seemed to retain a
      number of the same archaic words and they could understand each other.

      I would reject the idea that Sauron could have made them. According to
      Gandalf, only one (Gollum) ever went evil, although I would say that
      Lotho Pimple caused a lot of evil, and the fact that he got in over his
      head and never meant to cause the things that happened does not excuse
      him from the responsility for it. A race species created by Sauron would
      be, I assume, nearly wholly corrupt, at least while there was still a
      Sauron--after that would be another question.

      I'm afraid the idea that Olorin/Gandalf could have made them doesn't seem
      to ring true with me either. Gandalf seemed to have tried to make
      alliances, and persuade people, but I can't really see him making any
      people. Of course, I suppose some of the less imaginative ;-) might say
      that my account spelled out earlier could be considered a bit far-fetched
      and unlikely too.

      But come now, we certainly seem to have some creative minds present; we
      must be able to produce several accounts of their origins!

      Get your name as your email address.