Inside Information

  • Servo Kamen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2004
      The Hobbit, ch. 12: Inside Information:

      The time of legend was now. The final step in the
      Quest of Erebor had begun and another stage of the
      great plan for the role of the Hobbits in the
      timetable of the recovery of Middle-Earth was
      underway, and the fall of a potential ally of the Dark
      Lord. Bilbo began his journey into the depths of
      Smaug's layer with Balin, who had grown very fond of
      the Hobbit, at his side down the smooth well-made
      Dwarf tunnel. Once they got to the point where the
      door was barely visible, Balin stopped so that he
      could act as a relay between Bilbo and those outside.

      The Dwarves may not have shown it, but they all did
      like Bilbo. They all were going to pay him quite
      handsomly for his services and were ready to help him
      if he needed it.

      Bilbo put on the One Ring and went forth mustering all
      of his courage to step into the caverns deep within
      the mountain. And there he was. The great
      fire-drake, Smaug. His vast jaws and mighty claws.
      His immense wings and body. His huge coiled tail.

      Dragons are odd about treasure. They obviously have
      no need for the gold that they plunder from anyone
      they come across. Dragons don't have a culture like
      the Free Peoples where it can be used as trade or for
      weapons or halls. They gather all of this wealth to
      sleep on, like a matress. It seems like such a waste.
      The only sensible thing about this is that the
      valuables do tend to get embedded in the scales of
      their vulnerable underbellies to protect them. Smaug
      had done this to himself, though to his own end, he
      had missed a spot.

      Bilbo moved quietly into the chamber, and grabbed a
      two-handled golden cup, which turned out to be one of
      Thr�r's best. Almost immediatly, Smaug began to stir,
      as Dragons can sense when any of their stolen treasure
      goes missing. The Hobbit ran back up the tunnel as
      fast as he could, trying to get away from the beast.

      Other such great treasures that Smaug had hoarded
      other than Thr�r's golden cup included the necklace of
      Girion (Lord of Dale at the time Erebor fell) which
      had five hundred emeralds. And the greatest of all
      was the Arkenstone, a great white gem that had
      belonged to Thr�in, the son of Thr�r and father of
      Thorin, and was called the Heart of the Mountain.

      His Dwarven companions were rejoicing in his success,
      cheering and carrying Bilbo around, until there was a
      sudden rumble deep down in the tunnel. Smaug had
      awoken and was not happy to find that a piece of his
      treasure was missing. He was in a terrible rage now
      and stormed out of the mountain in search of the
      thief.
      Bilbo, Fili, Kili and Balin all rushed back into the
      tunnel, while the rest went to get Bofur and Bombur
      out of the valley before Smaug saw them. The entire
      Company was safe, but the unfortunate ponies had fled
      in terror and became Smaug's tasty supper. Smaug
      himself rampaged until he had worn himself out and
      then returned to his home to regather his strength.

      Once again, as they had numerous times before on this
      adventure, the Dwarves began finding ways to blame
      Bilbo for this, and once again Bilbo did not hesitate
      to set the score straight. He eventually decided to
      Dragons tend to nap (about midday) with the Ring on as
      he did the previous time. Unfortunatly, while wearing
      the Ring, Bilbo got too confident and wound up walking
      right into Smaug's trap. Smaug had only been
      pretending to sleep and knew with his keen sense of
      smell the moment that Bilbo had entered. Smaug
      tempted Bilbo to come in further, but Bilbo decided to
      stay back and began trying to flatter Smaug by
      describing the Dragon's great appearance. Bilbo also
      avoided giving his name to Smaug and instead spoke in
      riddles telling of the adventures he had been through
      up until then. Unfortunatly,. when Bilbo said that he
      was the "Barrel-rider" Smaug immediatly associated him
      with the people of Lake-Town and began plotting
      revenge against them for their connection to the
      thief. He would be paying their town a visit that
      night and showing them what an angry Dragon can do.
      Smaug had already known that Dwarves were involved as
      he knew their scent (but not that of a Hobbit) and so
      he rightly decided that some Dwarf descendents of
      Erebor and Men of Lake-Town were working together to
      reclaim the treasure, the treaure that he had taken
      from Thr�r the Dwarf King over a century before. This
      only further infuriated him and resolved his desire to
      strike the lakeside village and wipe out any threat to
      his treasure. This was further confirmed when Bilbo
      outright told him that they desired revenge.

      In the end, Bilbo wound up rushing out of the tunnel
      with Smaug's fire-breath right on his heels. After
      being revived by the Dwarves, he told all that had
      happened to them, and Balin tried his best to comfort
      Bilbo, stating that the information about Smaug's bare
      spot would be useful. But enough of that. Bilbo
      urged everyone to move away from the door, as he knew
      Smaug's wrath would soon be coming. And so it did.
      Smaug had quiely left his chamber and lashed out,
      demolishing the side of the mountain just as the
      Company had shut the door, trapping them inside.

      Once that was taken care of, Smaug turned his
      attention to Lake-Town. The people there had to be
      taught a lesson. They would learn who the true King
      Under the Mountain was this night.

      =====
      Send offlist e-mails to info_servo@... .

      Join my group:

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
        Any comments?

        *S*
        SHADOWKamen.

        =====

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2004
          'Bout what?
          (This group automatically throws away attachments for fear of viruses..)
          Regards
          Jack.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2004

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2004
[...]