RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: questions for you

    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 7 7:56 AM
      Unless he dyed it, of course...

      From: xnemesis01 [mailto:xnemesis01@...]
      Most Silvan elves had dark hair. Also, Legolas' father had to have
      some Vanyarin blood in him, as they are the only elves with "golden
      blond hair". Since his mother probably had dark hair, and most of the
      Vanyarin blood from Thranduil could have been filtered out, Legolas
      could have, and probably did have dark hair.

      ---
    • cleidoic
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 7 12:53 PM
        I think it was changed on purpose for the film, so mistake may be the wrong=

        word to use. But, yes, in the book it's most definitely not the last ship=
        .

        Clei

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 7 1:12 PM
          You're right; I don't think that 'mistake' was the right world. Jackson had to emphasize the point that the Time of Elves was over, and that the Dominion of Men was beginning. Thus, making it the Last Ship served the purpose. (Remember, the films were not just for those who had read the books; most of the audience had never done so.)

          If we are talking about Book!LOTR, the Last Ship would have sailed sometime in the Fourth Age. There is a poem of that title in "Adventures of Tom Bombadil". "The Last Ship" and "The Sea Bell" are sort of companion pieces. Both the unnamed speaker of "The Sea Bell" and Firiel in "The Last Ship" get a vision of a world of beauty and enchantment and wonder that lies over against our mundane world; the speaker tries to grasp and hold onto that vision, to master that world--and so looses both that world and the good of this one, while for Firiel it is enough to know that the other world exists, and to treasure the memory of that glimpse.