Re: questions for you

  • xnemesis01
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 6, 2004
      Hi Lisa!
      > 1) In like Minis Tirith and Minis Morgul....does the
      > word Minis mean anything special or is it just
      > something they like to stick in front of city names?

      Minas means tower or fortified city in Sindarin

      > 2) Aarogorn passes the law that "big people" cant go
      > into the shire....the just means humans right? Like
      > if legalas and gimli wanted to wander through sometime
      > they could. since "big people" is a hobbit phrase for
      > the race of men and aarogorn really has no rule to put
      > laws on the elves or dwarves.....

      He only means humans. Aragorn has no say over the elves or dwarves,
      and in any case, he can't forbid the elves from going West, and the
      most popular way seemed to be from Mithlond.

      > 3) So the ship that Frodo left on was called the last
      > ship to the west.....and arwen says she cant go to
      > valanor after aarogorn dies because the last ship to
      > the west already left......and i beleive somewhere
      > else something is said about the last ship haveing
      > already left.....so how did legolas and gimli manage
      > to get a ship over there? or am i misinterpreting
      > things and that wasnt the last ship for real or
      > legolas and gimli didnt actually go to
      > valanor.....havnt actually read that part of the book
      > yet...just read and been told they went other
      > places....

      It wasn't the last ship. That was a movie mistake. In the books,
      Círdan tells Elrond that he will stay in Arda until the last ship
      leaves. Since he doesn't go with the Ringbearers, that should tell
      all that it isn't the last ship.

      4) Finally...what are the origins of Legolas' parents?
      > From what I've been told his mother was silvan and
      > his father was sindar who just happens to also be
      > light haired. And all the elves mentioned in mirkwood
      > are light haired. yes we are having the age old
      > discussion on legolas' hair color...but i think this
      > group has more book fans than movie fans that i'm more
      > likely to get a good answer as to his heritage.

      Most Silvan elves had dark hair. Also, Legolas' father had to have
      some Vanyarin blood in him, as they are the only elves with "golden
      blond hair". Since his mother probably had dark hair, and most of the
      Vanyarin blood from Thranduil could have been filtered out, Legolas
      could have, and probably did have dark hair.
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 7, 2004
        Unless he dyed it, of course...

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 7, 2004
          I think it was changed on purpose for the film, so mistake may be the wrong=

          word to use. But, yes, in the book it's most definitely not the last ship=
          .

          Clei

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 7, 2004
            You're right; I don't think that 'mistake' was the right world. Jackson had to emphasize the point that the Time of Elves was over, and that the Dominion of Men was beginning. Thus, making it the Last Ship served the purpose. (Remember, the films were not just for those who had read the books; most of the audience had never done so.)

            If we are talking about Book!LOTR, the Last Ship would have sailed sometime in the Fourth Age. There is a poem of that title in "Adventures of Tom Bombadil". "The Last Ship" and "The Sea Bell" are sort of companion pieces. Both the unnamed speaker of "The Sea Bell" and Firiel in "The Last Ship" get a vision of a world of beauty and enchantment and wonder that lies over against our mundane world; the speaker tries to grasp and hold onto that vision, to master that world--and so looses both that world and the good of this one, while for Firiel it is enough to know that the other world exists, and to treasure the memory of that glimpse.