Antifeminist militarism, etc.

  • peter d sippel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      Well we do have to remember that Tolkien was living in a different time,
      and that he was studying a time that was even earlier. As someone who
      would like to be a historian if there was any way of making a living at
      it I can vouch that it is far easier to get caught up in the past time
      than someone not familiar with that type of work might think. My editor
      complained that my original work sounded too much like the 18th century
      documents I compiled, and not like a 21st century person. She's wrong of
      course, but I'm only the author and not in the loop on these important
      decisions. ;-)

      That said there are still a few significant female characters in LOTR
      such as Eowen and Galadriel, and there were a couple of Queens of
      Numenore, female valar, etc. so he wasn't quite hopeless. In Sir Gawain
      and the Green Knight the infamous Morgan LeFay plays a role, and Pearl is
      the major and better character in Pearl.

      For my part I'm working on a piece of fanfic about the origins of some of
      the Nazgul and I have concluded that in these inclusive and politically
      correct times I would be quite out of step if I did not make at least one
      of my "nine mortal men doomed to die" be a *woman.* And she is shaping up
      to be one of the most dangerous of the bunch too--at one point I have her
      producing a concealed weapon while standing naked in the middle of the
      room and assassinating a man three times her own size who was wearing
      protective body armour, rather an impressive skill I would think. Can't
      hardly blame Sauron for showing an interest in someone who could pull off
      a trick like that now, can we?

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!