Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Return of the King- the death of the Leader of t...

  • ethiercn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2004
      In a message dated 4/30/2004 11:49:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      cleidoic@... writes:
      I wonder if anyone - man, male or
      whatever - could have wielded the Westernesse blade and
      made the Witch-king susceptible? And, conversely, could Eowyn
      have killed him if Merry hadn't cut his sinews? The prophecy
      doesn't say that man *can't* kill him, just that no man *would.*
      I would say no. Merry's stab not only cut his sinews but give Eowyn time to
      recover, time she needed as she was about to die.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2004
        The prophecy was "he will not fall by the hand of a man". That is open
        to interpretation, because 'man' is one of those words which has more
        than one meaning. (BTW, does anyone have a German translation of LOTR?
        I'd be interested to see if it has 'mann' or 'mench'.)

        cleidoic@... writes:
        I wonder if anyone - man, male or
        whatever - could have wielded the Westernesse blade and
        made the Witch-king susceptible? And, conversely, could Eowyn
        have killed him if Merry hadn't cut his sinews? The prophecy
        doesn't say that man *can't* kill him, just that no man *would.*
        I would say no. Merry's stab not only cut his sinews but give Eowyn
        time to
        recover, time she needed as she was about to die.

        Chris

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129bebnrq/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705019844:HM/EXP=1083543315/A=1874382/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
        ldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=1874382/rand=297143994>

        _____