Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Return of the King- the death of the Leader of the Nazgul

  • peter d sippel
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2004
      On Sat, 1 May 2004 10:25:50 +1000 "Amy Black" <amyblack@...>
      writes:

      > Even Eowyn was terrified, till he revealed his undoing. Kind of
      > like
      > Darkness in Legend. If he had kepted his big mouth shut, he'd have
      > won, the
      > idiot.

      How true. He had the seeds of his undoing within him. Keep that in mind,
      any of you who may be planning to terrorize the world with your sorcery
      and necromancer's arts!

      > Well, that was 1 thing I thought about the books too. It said no
      > MAN could
      > kill him, but it was a woman and a hobbit that did, no man
      > whatsoever.
      >
      > Amy Black

      And a Hobbit who was, at that, still technically underage, so could
      actually be classed as a *boy* and not a "man" by the standards of his
      own people! One of Tolkien's repeated themes was that where the strong
      and mighty failed the weak and little were able to prevail so a woman in
      a sexist society and a "halfling" generally held to be of little account
      even by those who actually had heard of them did what others could not
      do. Almost sounds like Tolkien cribbed from I Corinthians.

      I'm presently working on a piece of fanfic about him and some of the
      other Nazgul, that tries to exploit what I see as a couple of weaknesses.
      It won't be ready for this round of Mithril awards, but maybe next
      time...;-) ;-)

      peter d sippel, Warminster, PA, USA

      QuakerPages: http://www.qhpress.org/quakerpages/qpages.htm

      "We easily condemn our own vices in others."--George Dilwyn.

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Info Servo
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2004
        It is my opinion that anyone could have killed the
        Witch King, had they the power and the weapons. I
        believe the "No man" part was just a prophecy (by
        Glorfindel, wasn't it?) that it would be no mortal
        man, and the Witch King went and took it has a sure
        sign of his invincibility and began bragging about it.

        SHADOWKamen.

        =====
        Offlist e-mails should go to info_servo@... .
        My list:
        My booth:
        http://www.freevote.com/booth/Informitor
        My page:
        http://random.kakuranger.net/

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2004
          Considering that JRRT was one of the translators of THE JERUSALEM BIBLE,
          that is not unlikely.