RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Rohirrim

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
      These posts contain interesting information, but they would be more valuable and useful if you were to include citations.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
        I'd love nothing more to include citations along with the anecdotes
        but I don't really have the resources or time to do that.

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"
        <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
        > These posts contain interesting information, but they would be more
        valuable and useful if you were to include citations.

        Members,

        > _____

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
          I think Bungo is taking them from a Tolkien Guide somewhere.

[...]

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
            Well, if a dispute arises as to what is and is not within the ME universe, I'd like to be able to refer to something a little more authoritative than "Bungo's E-mails."

            <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
            > These posts contain interesting information, but they would be more
            valuable and useful if you were to include citations.

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            _____

          • bungo_burrows
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
              I had no idea this would all cause such a problem for you Bruce.
              However, I had no idea you would want to use these anecdotes for your
              debates. Perhaps you should lighten up and not take life so seriously
              but I do not have the time or leisure to research each point
              endlessly. However, next time I will try to consult the good
              professor himself. If you want, I will cease to bother making these
              postings if it will ease your sorry conflict.

              <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
              > Well, if a dispute arises as to what is and is not within the ME
              universe, I'd like to be able to refer to something a little more
              authoritative than "Bungo's E-mails."

              subject=Unsubscribe>

            • Brad Leissa
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                Please continue to post these excerpts. I, for one, find them both
                entertaining and informative.

                Thanks.

                Brad

                --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "bungo_burrows"

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Sure, will continue on witht the excerpts. People will just take them
                  for what they are and if they need to verify them, well then the
                  excerpts will have spurred them on to learn more of Tolkien which is
                  the best thing of all.

                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Leissa"
                  <bleissa@c...> wrote:
                  > Please continue to post these excerpts. I, for one, find them both
                  > entertaining and informative.
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Brad
                  >
                  > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "bungo_burrows"
                  > <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                  > > I had no idea this would all cause such a problem for you Bruce.
                  > > However, I had no idea you would want to use these anecdotes for
                  > your
                  > > debates. Perhaps you should lighten up and not take life so
                  > seriously
                  > > but I do not have the time or leisure to research each point
                  > > endlessly. However, next time I will try to consult the good
                  > > professor himself. If you want, I will cease to bother making
                  these
                  > > postings if it will ease your sorry conflict.
                  > >
                  > > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"
                  > > <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
                  > > > Well, if a dispute arises as to what is and is not within the
                  ME
                  > > universe, I'd like to be able to refer to something a little more
                  > > authoritative than "Bungo's E-mails."
                • Eomer Eadig
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                    <bleissa@c...> wrote:
                    > Please continue to post these excerpts. I, for one, find them both
                    > entertaining and informative.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Brad

                    I second that. You just now got to one of the subjects I was
                    waiting for, and though I unfortunately didn't learn anything new
                    from it, I still found it enjoyable. As far as facts are concerned,
                    I feel safe to say that all these posts are one hundred percent
                    accurate and are a great way for people to learn more about ME.
                    Please keep posting.

                    Eomer of Eastfold
                  • Informitor, SHADOWKamen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                      <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                      > I had no idea this would all cause such a problem for you Bruce.
                      > However, I had no idea you would want to use these anecdotes for your
                      > debates. Perhaps you should lighten up and not take life so seriously
                      > but I do not have the time or leisure to research each point
                      > endlessly. However, next time I will try to consult the good
                      > professor himself. If you want, I will cease to bother making these
                      > postings if it will ease your sorry conflict.

                      Just ignore him, I sure am and will continue to, and keep posting them.

                      SHADOWKamen.
                    • peter d sippel
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
                        We hateses to be a fly in the ointment, yes we does, but if these
                        summaries are coming from a source or guide book and are not original
                        compositions by the poster, posting them without legal permission from
                        the publisher is in direct violation of international copyright
                        laws--this could, in theory, jeapordize the list. I don't know about
                        Tolkien, or how his family views it, but I do know there are cases where
                        the author or his/her descendents do regularly search the internet for
                        unauthorized content and take steps against when they find it.

                        peter d sippel, Warminster, PA, USA

                        QuakerPages: http://www.qhpress.org/quakerpages/qpages.htm

                        "We easily condemn our own vices in others."--George Dilwyn.

                        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                      • bungo_burrows
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
                          Well, from now on, I will add on a statement stating the source. I
                          will provide the following statement at the bottom of each posting
                          (thereby, hopefully, preempting questions about the source
                          information):

                          Source: Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth",
                          Ballantine Books, Del Rey. Please refer to this book for complete
                          references.)

                          If that is not satisfactory to the owners of the group, i will stop
                          posting the excerpts and keep them for myself.

                          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, peter d sippel

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2004
                            I'm not an owner, just a moderator, but that sounds like a good compromise
                            to me.

                            I'm very impressed and grateful that you take the trouble to type this stuff
                            out for us.

                            Regards

                            From: bungo_burrows [mailto:yesgaz@...]

                          • justkenneth@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2004
                              <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                              > Well, from now on, I will add on a statement stating the source. I
                              > will provide the following statement at the bottom of each posting
                              > (thereby, hopefully, preempting questions about the source
                              > information):
                              >
                              > Source: Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth",
                              > Ballantine Books, Del Rey. Please refer to this book for complete
                              > references.)
                              >
                              > If that is not satisfactory to the owners of the group, i will
                              stop
                              > posting the excerpts and keep them for myself.

                              Thanks, Bungo. That sounds great. Do keep on posting the excerpts.

                              Kenneth