Rohirrim

  • bungo_burrows
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
      Rohirrim were Men, the inhabitants of Rohan, descended from Éothéd.
      Because of the Oath of Eorl and their natural nobility, the Rohirrim
      were friendly to Gondor and deadly foes of her enemies.

      The Rohirrim were tall and blond, with fair faces; they lived to be
      about eighty and retained their strength even in old age. They loved
      their horses above all else -- they raised the noblest horses and
      were the best horsemen in all of Middle-earth. The Rohirrim were
      culturally conservative, keeping even intot he Fourth Age their
      ancient customs and language. The wrote with a primitive mode of
      Cirth.

      The Rohirrim called themselves Eorlingas; Rohirrim was the name given
      them in Gondor. The were also called the Sons of Eorl, the Horse-
      lords, the Horsemen (by Ghân-buri-Ghân), the Horsemen of the north,
      Forgoil (by the Dunlendings), the Whiteskins (by the Orcs), the
      Riders (by synedoche) and the North-men (in opposition to the
      Haradrim).
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
        These posts contain interesting information, but they would be more valuable and useful if you were to include citations.

[...]

        _____

      • bungo_burrows
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2004
          I'd love nothing more to include citations along with the anecdotes
          but I don't really have the resources or time to do that.

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"
          <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
          > These posts contain interesting information, but they would be more
          valuable and useful if you were to include citations.

          Members,

          > _____

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
            I think Bungo is taking them from a Tolkien Guide somewhere.

[...]

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
              Well, if a dispute arises as to what is and is not within the ME universe, I'd like to be able to refer to something a little more authoritative than "Bungo's E-mails."

              <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
              > These posts contain interesting information, but they would be more
              valuable and useful if you were to include citations.

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              _____

            • bungo_burrows
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                I had no idea this would all cause such a problem for you Bruce.
                However, I had no idea you would want to use these anecdotes for your
                debates. Perhaps you should lighten up and not take life so seriously
                but I do not have the time or leisure to research each point
                endlessly. However, next time I will try to consult the good
                professor himself. If you want, I will cease to bother making these
                postings if it will ease your sorry conflict.

                <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
                > Well, if a dispute arises as to what is and is not within the ME
                universe, I'd like to be able to refer to something a little more
                authoritative than "Bungo's E-mails."

                subject=Unsubscribe>

              • Brad Leissa
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Please continue to post these excerpts. I, for one, find them both
                  entertaining and informative.

                  Thanks.

                  Brad

                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "bungo_burrows"

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                    Sure, will continue on witht the excerpts. People will just take them
                    for what they are and if they need to verify them, well then the
                    excerpts will have spurred them on to learn more of Tolkien which is
                    the best thing of all.

                    --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Leissa"
                    <bleissa@c...> wrote:
                    > Please continue to post these excerpts. I, for one, find them both
                    > entertaining and informative.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Brad
                    >
                    > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "bungo_burrows"
                    > <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                    > > I had no idea this would all cause such a problem for you Bruce.
                    > > However, I had no idea you would want to use these anecdotes for
                    > your
                    > > debates. Perhaps you should lighten up and not take life so
                    > seriously
                    > > but I do not have the time or leisure to research each point
                    > > endlessly. However, next time I will try to consult the good
                    > > professor himself. If you want, I will cease to bother making
                    these
                    > > postings if it will ease your sorry conflict.
                    > >
                    > > --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"
                    > > <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
                    > > > Well, if a dispute arises as to what is and is not within the
                    ME
                    > > universe, I'd like to be able to refer to something a little more
                    > > authoritative than "Bungo's E-mails."
                  • Eomer Eadig
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                      <bleissa@c...> wrote:
                      > Please continue to post these excerpts. I, for one, find them both
                      > entertaining and informative.
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Brad

                      I second that. You just now got to one of the subjects I was
                      waiting for, and though I unfortunately didn't learn anything new
                      from it, I still found it enjoyable. As far as facts are concerned,
                      I feel safe to say that all these posts are one hundred percent
                      accurate and are a great way for people to learn more about ME.
                      Please keep posting.

                      Eomer of Eastfold
                    • Informitor, SHADOWKamen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                        <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                        > I had no idea this would all cause such a problem for you Bruce.
                        > However, I had no idea you would want to use these anecdotes for your
                        > debates. Perhaps you should lighten up and not take life so seriously
                        > but I do not have the time or leisure to research each point
                        > endlessly. However, next time I will try to consult the good
                        > professor himself. If you want, I will cease to bother making these
                        > postings if it will ease your sorry conflict.

                        Just ignore him, I sure am and will continue to, and keep posting them.

                        SHADOWKamen.
                      • peter d sippel
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
                          We hateses to be a fly in the ointment, yes we does, but if these
                          summaries are coming from a source or guide book and are not original
                          compositions by the poster, posting them without legal permission from
                          the publisher is in direct violation of international copyright
                          laws--this could, in theory, jeapordize the list. I don't know about
                          Tolkien, or how his family views it, but I do know there are cases where
                          the author or his/her descendents do regularly search the internet for
                          unauthorized content and take steps against when they find it.

                          peter d sippel, Warminster, PA, USA

                          QuakerPages: http://www.qhpress.org/quakerpages/qpages.htm

                          "We easily condemn our own vices in others."--George Dilwyn.

                          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                        • bungo_burrows
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 3, 2004
                            Well, from now on, I will add on a statement stating the source. I
                            will provide the following statement at the bottom of each posting
                            (thereby, hopefully, preempting questions about the source
                            information):

                            Source: Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth",
                            Ballantine Books, Del Rey. Please refer to this book for complete
                            references.)

                            If that is not satisfactory to the owners of the group, i will stop
                            posting the excerpts and keep them for myself.

                            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, peter d sippel

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2004
                              I'm not an owner, just a moderator, but that sounds like a good compromise
                              to me.

                              I'm very impressed and grateful that you take the trouble to type this stuff
                              out for us.

                              Regards

                              From: bungo_burrows [mailto:yesgaz@...]

                            • justkenneth@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 4, 2004
                                <yesgaz@i...> wrote:
                                > Well, from now on, I will add on a statement stating the source. I
                                > will provide the following statement at the bottom of each posting
                                > (thereby, hopefully, preempting questions about the source
                                > information):
                                >
                                > Source: Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth",
                                > Ballantine Books, Del Rey. Please refer to this book for complete
                                > references.)
                                >
                                > If that is not satisfactory to the owners of the group, i will
                                stop
                                > posting the excerpts and keep them for myself.

                                Thanks, Bungo. That sounds great. Do keep on posting the excerpts.

                                Kenneth