Quenya

  • bungo_burrows
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2004
      Quenya was the language of the Eldar of Valinor, preumably the
      closest language to that spoken in Cuiviénen by the first Quendi or
      Elves.

      In the West, the Quenya of the Teleri on Tol Eressëa developed into a
      different dialect from that of the Noldor or Vanyar on the mainland
      of Aman. In mortal lands, Quenya was spoken by the Noldorin exiles
      and underwent several minor changes. But its change was slowed when,
      as the language of the Kinslayers, it was banned by Thingol, and
      Quenya became a language of lore, loved by the Noldor, the Edain who
      knew it, and the Ents, but not used in public. It remained a language
      of lore among the Dûnedain, and in later ages its use was a sign of
      respect and friendship for the Eldar.

      Quenya was a beautiful language, its liquid syllables suited to songs
      and poetry. It is also called the Ancient Speech, the Ancient Tongue,
      the High Speech of the West Eldarin, High-Elven, High Eldarin, and
      Valinorean.
    • airevingiel mithrandir
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2004
        Where can I find all these info?

        bungo_burrows <yesgaz@...> wrote:Quenya was the language of the Eldar of Valinor, preumably the
        closest language to that spoken in Cuivi�nen by the first Quendi or
        Elves.

        In the West, the Quenya of the Teleri on Tol Eress�a developed into a
        different dialect from that of the Noldor or Vanyar on the mainland
        of Aman. In mortal lands, Quenya was spoken by the Noldorin exiles
        and underwent several minor changes. But its change was slowed when,
        as the language of the Kinslayers, it was banned by Thingol, and
        Quenya became a language of lore, loved by the Noldor, the Edain who
        knew it, and the Ents, but not used in public. It remained a language
        of lore among the D�nedain, and in later ages its use was a sign of
        respect and friendship for the Eldar.

        Quenya was a beautiful language, its liquid syllables suited to songs
        and poetry. It is also called the Ancient Speech, the Ancient Tongue,
        the High Speech of the West Eldarin, High-Elven, High Eldarin, and
        Valinorean.

      • xnemesis01
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2004
          Professor Tolkien told us about three languages in Valinor. Quenya,
          Telerin, and Valarin. Quenya was used by the Vanyar and the Noldor
          and was known by the Teleri. Telerin was used by the Teleri. The last
          one was used by the Ainur. In Lord of the Rings, he refers to Ouenya
          as Valinorean. I don't understand why he would have two entirely
          separate languages referred to as almost the exact same thing. He
          even says that the Valar only taught a few, if any, elves their own
          tongue and I think there was something about them stopping their ears
          and fleeing when it was spoken. This is a subject that confuses me to
          no end.

          bungo_burrows <yesgaz@i...> wrote:Quenya was the language of the
          Eldar of Valinor, preumably the
          > closest language to that spoken in Cuiviénen by the first Quendi
          or
          > Elves.
          >
          > In the West, the Quenya of the Teleri on Tol Eressëa developed
          into
          > different dialect from that of the Noldor or Vanyar on the mainland
          > of Aman. In mortal lands, Quenya was spoken by the Noldorin exiles
          > and underwent several minor changes. But its change was slowed
          when,
          > as the language of the Kinslayers, it was banned by Thingol, and
          > Quenya became a language of lore, loved by the Noldor, the Edain
          who
          > knew it, and the Ents, but not used in public. It remained a
          language
          > of lore among the Dûnedain, and in later ages its use was a sign
          of
          > respect and friendship for the Eldar.
          >
          > Quenya was a beautiful language, its liquid syllables suited to
          songs
          > and poetry. It is also called the Ancient Speech, the Ancient
          Tongue,
          > the High Speech of the West Eldarin, High-Elven, High Eldarin, and
          > Valinorean.
          >

          > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
          advantage
          > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
          Members,

          Service.

          > Do you Yahoo!?

        • bungo_burrows
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2004
            I'm getting all this info from a calendar "A Guide to Middle Earth. I
            believe the information is taken from "Exploring the Worlds of
            J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings" from book by Robert Foster.

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, airevingiel mithrandir