Re: Balrog, the vagaries of power and applicability

  • cleidoic
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 29, 2004
      First off - Whoo Hooooooo! A clean sweep! They got everything
      they were nominated for. Tying "Titanic" and "Ben Hur" for most
      Oscar wins. What a well-deserved triumph!

      And on to other stuff:
      "Rob" <robaverbeck@c...> wrote:
      > I agree with that. Some fell beast, minor in importance or never
      >used and so forgotten by the wise as, unfortunately, were many
      >things, obviously. "I'm getting more mileage out of the
      >firedrakes than the waterdrakes, so we're going to concentrate
      >production on that model. I'm afraid those in the waterdrake
      >manufacture branch of the company are layed off effective
      >immediately. And no, Morgoth, Inc. does not support
      > post-employment health care! Now get out!" (Hey, I can't
      i>magine he was a NICE boss!)

      Lucky ones were laid off - the unlucky got fed to the new
      firedrakes!

      Clei
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hey!
        That's MY boss!

        From: Rob [mailto:robaverbeck@...]
        >I'm thinking evil beastie (possibly descendent of evil
        >beastie bred by Morgoth)

        I agree with that. Some fell beast, minor in importance or never used
        and so forgotten by the wise as, unfortunately, were many things,
        obviously. "I'm getting more mileage out of the firedrakes than the
        waterdrakes, so we're going to concentrate production on that model. I'm
        afraid those in the waterdrake manufacture branch of the company are
        layed off effective immediately. And no, Morgoth, Inc. does not support
        post-employment health care! Now get out!" (Hey, I can't imagine he was
        a NICE boss!)

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • cleidoic
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2004
          "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
          > Hey!
          > That's MY boss!

          So, Jack, you work for Disney? Or is it Microsoft?
          *eg*
        • geltharin2003
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2004
            That's it!! It was Morgoth who invented work!! The Beastard! hehe

            Angband, home of Morgoth, Inc. (Formerly Melkor Enterprises)-parent
            company of Sauron, Inc. a Dark Lord family company.

            Robert/Eol

            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robaverbeck@c...>
            wrote:
            > >I'm thinking evil beastie (possibly descendent of evil
            > >beastie bred by Morgoth)
            >
            > I agree with that. Some fell beast, minor in importance or never
            used
            > and so forgotten by the wise as, unfortunately, were many things,
            > obviously. "I'm getting more mileage out of the firedrakes than the
            > waterdrakes, so we're going to concentrate production on that
            model. I'm
            > afraid those in the waterdrake manufacture branch of the company
            are
            > layed off effective immediately. And no, Morgoth, Inc. does not
            support
            > post-employment health care! Now get out!" (Hey, I can't imagine
            he was
            > a NICE boss!)
            >
            > Rob
          • geltharin2003
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 1, 2004
              *Middle-earth Unemplyment Office*

              'And what was your last employer Mr. Ugack?' And what was your
              title there?'

              'Morgoth, Inc. I was Minion Lackey, second class.'

              hehe

              Robert/Eol

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "cleidoic"
              <cleidoic@y...> wrote:
              > First off - Whoo Hooooooo! A clean sweep! They got everything
              > they were nominated for. Tying "Titanic" and "Ben Hur" for most
              > Oscar wins. What a well-deserved triumph!
              >
              > And on to other stuff:
              > "Rob" <robaverbeck@c...> wrote:
              > > I agree with that. Some fell beast, minor in importance or never
              > >used and so forgotten by the wise as, unfortunately, were many
              > >things, obviously. "I'm getting more mileage out of the
              > >firedrakes than the waterdrakes, so we're going to concentrate
              > >production on that model. I'm afraid those in the waterdrake
              > >manufacture branch of the company are layed off effective
              > >immediately. And no, Morgoth, Inc. does not support
              > > post-employment health care! Now get out!" (Hey, I can't
              > i>magine he was a NICE boss!)
              >
              > Lucky ones were laid off - the unlucky got fed to the new
              > firedrakes!
              >
              > Clei
            • bungo_burrows
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                I believe that the Watcher of the Water was simply put a free agent
                that Sauron was probably aware of but gave IT little thought. I think
                he would have treated the androgenous watcher just like he did
                Shelob. Just another dainty in his empire.

                bungo

                wrote:
                > >And yet, amongst all of this, no-one has brought up the Watcher in
                the
                > Water :P
                >
                > He's (or she's?) exactly who I most meant when I mentioned the evil
                > things of M-E answering, maybe even subconsciously, the bad vibes
                Sauron
                > (and the ring) were sending out. I don't think the Watcher
                consciously
                > knew Frodo was Frodo, etc., but of course that is who he would
                grab. In
                > answer to the ring's cries? In answer to Sauron's? Or just cranky
                over
                > being, like the Balrog, woken up by all this nuisance going on in
                the
                > world?
                >
                > Rob
              • geltharin2003
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 2, 2004
                  Yep, to Sauron's mind everything was just put there to serve him.
                  hehe

                  Robert/Eol

                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "bungo_burrows"