RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: oscars

  • david kaufman
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
      --- Jack <jack@...> wrote:
      > You have, I'm sure, read Tom Shippey's book Writer
      > of the Century for your
      > thesis? I would like to hear more about this...
      >
      > Interesting that you classify yourself as a
      > professional writer. Because
      > Prof T was NOT. He was an academic writing
      > "Translations from the Elvish"
      > in his spare time from teaching and research in
      > Anglo-Saxon. He didn't
      > finish the Unfinished Tales initially because people
      > whose opinion he valued
      > (one assumes he meant his publisher) gave him no
      > hope that it would be
      > published. He wrote LOTR instead. After LOTR, he
      > never finished those
      > Tales to his satisfaction - the Silmarillion was
      > edited by his son after his
      > death.
      >
      > Regards
      > Jack
      I wrote:
      and again, use of the word professional to me means
      that is how you make at least the bulk of your money,
      or have magazine articles/stories and/or books at
      Borders and Barnes and Noble and/or College
      Bookstores

      That is my definition of "today's" prof. writer.
      Tolkien certainly made more money in the last part of
      his life from royalties from his books than in the
      meager Oxford salary (I went there, and the professors
      often complained about it). Also, he published
      articles throughout his life having to do with
      philology, that is why I included "college bookstore."
      My parents run the Child Study Center at Yale, but I
      condider them prof writers because even though they
      still teach, they have written most of the modern
      "accepted" texts on intelligence testing. So it's a
      fine line. My definition is more for people who do not
      publish--that is really the line, I guess. BTW, I have
      read Shippey's book(s), but am coming at my writing
      from a much different viewpoint, only how it relates
      to the ancient Lays and Epic poems.
      david

      =====
      Have a wonderful day,
      David Kaufman
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hmm, perhaps. I'm sure you're right that he made more from his books than
        he ever did from his work as an Oxford don! But I don't think that Prof T
        would have written "professional writer" on his passport application!

        Never mind all that! Tell us more about your thesis!

        From: david kaufman [mailto:davidjane42@...]

        --- Jack <jack@...> wrote:
        > You have, I'm sure, read Tom Shippey's book Writer
        > of the Century for your
        > thesis? I would like to hear more about this...
        >
        > Interesting that you classify yourself as a
        > professional writer. Because
        > Prof T was NOT. He was an academic writing
        > "Translations from the Elvish"
        > in his spare time from teaching and research in
        > Anglo-Saxon. He didn't
        > finish the Unfinished Tales initially because people
        > whose opinion he valued
        > (one assumes he meant his publisher) gave him no
        > hope that it would be
        > published. He wrote LOTR instead. After LOTR, he
        > never finished those
        > Tales to his satisfaction - the Silmarillion was
        > edited by his son after his
        > death.
        >
        > Regards
        > Jack

        =====
        Have a wonderful day,
        David Kaufman

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • bungo_burrows
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
          Never said they weren't "great films". You're point is moot.

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
          > Yet I think in 10 years time people will look back and say "Those
          were great
          > films".

          Members,

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
            You might want to email me privately with some
            questions, as my answers might prove boring to anyone
            on the list except for you, Ross, Bob, and some of the
            other Tolkien scholars here. It really has little to
            do with Lord of the Rings and much more to do with his
            lectures in philology and books such as his "Lays of
            Beleriand" and "Sir Gawain..." and his (correct vs
            other scholars) interpretation of "The Homecoming of
            Beorhtnoth", and how the names in Olde English
            (believe it or not everyone, out of Olde, Middle and
            Modern English, Shakespeare is MODERN, not old or
            middle!) were the basis for all the Elves languages in
            the Sil and LOTR, and how the words of all the
            Gondorians, Rohirrim, etc., including all of his forms
            of Elvish were never made up by Tolkien, but in fact
            an attempt to reintroduce a little taste of Old
            English into the world. Fascinating to some, boring to
            others. If enough people want me to post my
            dissertation piece by piece here, I will. I figure if
            20 people respond to this I will, if not, why don't
            you and I email privately about this stuff, as I bet
            you know things (lots on this list do, actually!) that
            I would benefit greatly from, as my study has been
            very one-tracked--as a dissertation must be, of
            course. Hopefully it will turn me into Dr.Kaufman
            soon!!Thanks for your emails Jack. I look forward to
            emailing back and forth with either you or everyone on
            this fascinating--at least to me--matter of languages
            in Olde England (B.C. to 991 A.D.) and Toklkien's
            England.
            david

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
              I for one would love to read your dissertations. I have always
              enjoyed reading such thoughts and ideas about the professor's
              writings.

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                Just because we mostly have been talking about the films recently doesn't
                mean that the list wouldn't be interested in something a bit more
                intellectually rigorous!

                Every now and again someone unsubscribes because the posts are too trivial
                (usually someone who hasn't posted themselves) so it would be nice to zap
                them with a bit of Beowulf in the original...

                And don't expect me to be able to translate, but I would still be
                interested!

                From: david kaufman [mailto:davidjane42@...]

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                  well, only 2 people so far want it...including you!
                  but I'll wait a few days, post something, and if
                  people like it, then I'll continue!
                  david

                • ethiercn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                    In a message dated 2/2/2004 6:27:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, jack@... writes:
                    Interesting that you classify yourself as a professional writer.  Because
                    Prof T was NOT.  He was an academic writing "Translations from the Elvish"
                    in his spare time from teaching and research in Anglo-Saxon.  He didn't
                    finish the Unfinished Tales initially because people whose opinion he valued
                    (one assumes he meant his publisher) gave him no hope that it would be
                    published.  He wrote LOTR instead.  After LOTR, he never finished those
                    Tales to his satisfaction - the Silmarillion was edited by his son after his
                    death.
                    Right.  And I think Prof T's critical works tend to be better written then his fiction.  His fiction, esp. LOTR reads like the Icelandic sagas etc {ie the Anglo-Saxon, Norse stuff he was familiar with}.  I think this why some people have problems with the books {tech. one book.}
                        And descriptive doesn't always mean good.  I hate RObert Jordan and Terry Brooks, though I did like them at some point.  But Terry Pratchett writes short books and he is great.  Dickens, Austen, Trollope did good description because they had to.  Modern writers think they have to, so they can reach the page count, but by and age they don't have the art.

                    Chris
                  • geltharin2003
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                      Yes, very true. But, also as you said, they can't really be
                      compared.

                      Robert/Eol

                      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "bungo_burrows"

                    • geltharin2003
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                        True, the way it was published as three books, it is way too short.
                        Personally I agree, and would have loved for Tolkien to go into a
                        lot more detail on a lot of things. Still, they are wonderful
                        books. I think that when the publisher told him that it would have
                        to be divided into three books, he should have gone back and added a
                        lot more detail, at least to TTT and RoTK. And since it was going
                        to be divided like that anyway, it would have given him lots of room
                        to do this, with out the publisher trying to say that it was now too
                        long again. I myself would not mind reading your disertation.

                        Robert/Eol

                        <davidjane42@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                        > with the trilogy that he has been told is that it is
                        > way too short, and even by us "modern" writers, who
                        > have too low of a threshold for description (that is
                        > our own fault, and our generation's readers fault)
                        > LOTR is WAY too short and non-descriptive, even for my
                        > favourite books of all time. On a literary analysis,
                        > however, I cannot simply forget that they are my
                        > favourite books to make Tolkien seem like a more
                        > descriptive author than he was: he should have put
                        > MUCH more of the history and short stories behind the
                        > truth of LOTR and incorporated it into the bulk of the
                        > work (i.e., nearly everything in the "Unfinished
                        > Tales" book should have been FINISHED, re-edited for
                        > the mass-market of the day to read, and put in their
                        > respective places in LOTR to make it a complete book,
                        > instead of such short (but amazing) pieces of work. If
                        > there is even one professional writer out there today
                        > (and again, use of the word professional to me means
                        > that is how you make at least the bulk of your money,
                        > or have magazine articles/stories and/or books at
                        > Borders and Barnes and Noble and/or College
                        > Bookstores)who says that Tolkien is too descriptive in
                        > the works that he published during his own lifetime
                        > (or the Sil for that matter, also) than it is someone
                        > who has simply heard comments like the one made below,
                        > and believed it, or has picked up the first volume of
                        > LOTR and started reading, found it wasn't for him/her,
                        > thus branding Tolkien too descriptive. I should
                        > know--I did this for many years. I was very ignorant
                        > and now I beat myself for it <lol>. Can you believe I
                        > tried to read the Sil before LOTR when I was 14, got
                        > bored, and decided that Tolkien sucked. It wasn't
                        > until I was a published author that someone highly
                        > recommended LOTR to me, and begrudgingly, I started
                        > FOTR for the 2nd or 3rd time in my life, too. After
                        > the initial, "I, I understand this world," Tolkien has
                        > the gall to come to landscapes, wars, and battles, and
                        > instead of describing them, he will say that it was
                        > "nice" and that "many poeople died!" No, take out the
                        > first 100 pages of FOTR and there is simply not enough
                        > detail and description even by today's standards. In a
                        > way, that is why the LOTR books were the most read
                        > books of the last century besides the Bible; because
                        > they are so readable and accessable. And that is part
                        > of what makes Tolkien great. I am doing my
                        > dissertation on Tolkien's writing style as it relates
                        > to the Olde English and Middle English, and the form
                        > of the English Lay (no one laugh there or I'll smite
                        > you), so anyone who wants to argue this point (nicely
                        > of course, I hate mean, biting, correcting on petty
                        > issue-type people more than anything) I would love to
                        > talk about it and prove my point. :-)
                        > david
                        >
                        > > Tolkien put in more description of landscapes and
                        > > such than a modern professional writer would say is
                        > > good for a book, and I have to agree. At parts the

                      • geltharin2003
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                          Ummm, I know this is off topic...but why would your definition of a
                          professional writer include them making the majority of their money
                          from their writing? I mean, what if say a writer made a decent
                          amount of money from their writing, but made more at another job
                          that they held? Plus, I think that writers that only sell a few
                          things are still professional writers. Not to take anything away
                          from those that do make the majority, or all of their living from
                          writing, just to say that those who don't, also deserve recognition.

                          Robert/Eol

                          <davidjane42@y...> wrote:

                          > --- Jack <jack@t...> wrote:
                          > > You have, I'm sure, read Tom Shippey's book Writer
                          > > of the Century for your
                          > > thesis? I would like to hear more about this...
                          > >
                          > > Interesting that you classify yourself as a
                          > > professional writer. Because
                          > > Prof T was NOT. He was an academic writing
                          > > "Translations from the Elvish"
                          > > in his spare time from teaching and research in
                          > > Anglo-Saxon. He didn't
                          > > finish the Unfinished Tales initially because people
                          > > whose opinion he valued
                          > > (one assumes he meant his publisher) gave him no
                          > > hope that it would be
                          > > published. He wrote LOTR instead. After LOTR, he
                          > > never finished those
                          > > Tales to his satisfaction - the Silmarillion was
                          > > edited by his son after his
                          > > death.
                          > >
                          > > Regards
                          > > Jack
                          > I wrote:
                          > and again, use of the word professional to me means
                          > that is how you make at least the bulk of your money,
                          > or have magazine articles/stories and/or books at
                          > Borders and Barnes and Noble and/or College
                          > Bookstores
                          >
                          > That is my definition of "today's" prof. writer.
                          > Tolkien certainly made more money in the last part of
                          > his life from royalties from his books than in the
                          > meager Oxford salary (I went there, and the professors
                          > often complained about it). Also, he published
                          > articles throughout his life having to do with
                          > philology, that is why I included "college bookstore."
                          > My parents run the Child Study Center at Yale, but I
                          > condider them prof writers because even though they
                          > still teach, they have written most of the modern
                          > "accepted" texts on intelligence testing. So it's a
                          > fine line. My definition is more for people who do not
                          > publish--that is really the line, I guess. BTW, I have
                          > read Shippey's book(s), but am coming at my writing
                          > from a much different viewpoint, only how it relates
                          > to the ancient Lays and Epic poems.
                          > david
                          >
                          > =====
                          > Have a wonderful day,
                          > David Kaufman
                        • *Alconnwiel* Dana
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                            yeah i agree, fotr was very descriptive and long and
                            everything...not that i dont like TTT and ROTK (ROTK is my fave
                            book) but i think they could of done better with more background
                            info, or some more songs! but they are still great the way that they
                            are!
                            Dana

                            --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "geltharin2003"
                            <geltharin2003@y...> wrote:
                            > True, the way it was published as three books, it is way too
                            short.
                            > Personally I agree, and would have loved for Tolkien to go into a
                            > lot more detail on a lot of things. Still, they are wonderful
                            > books. I think that when the publisher told him that it would
                            have
                            > to be divided into three books, he should have gone back and added
                            > lot more detail, at least to TTT and RoTK. And since it was going
                            > to be divided like that anyway, it would have given him lots of
                            room
                            > to do this, with out the publisher trying to say that it was now
                            too
                            > long again. I myself would not mind reading your disertation.
                            >
                            > Robert/Eol

                          • geltharin2003
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                              I for one would love to see what you have to say about it. I don't
                              know how much input I would have...hehe but I am sure I might have
                              a word or two to say. Of course, I am no linguist as such, but I am
                              very interested in languages.

                              Robert

                              <davidjane42@y...> wrote:
                              > You might want to email me privately with some
                              > questions, as my answers might prove boring to anyone
                              > on the list except for you, Ross, Bob, and some of the
                              > other Tolkien scholars here. It really has little to
                              > do with Lord of the Rings and much more to do with his
                              > lectures in philology and books such as his "Lays of
                              > Beleriand" and "Sir Gawain..." and his (correct vs
                              > other scholars) interpretation of "The Homecoming of
                              > Beorhtnoth", and how the names in Olde English
                              > (believe it or not everyone, out of Olde, Middle and
                              > Modern English, Shakespeare is MODERN, not old or
                              > middle!) were the basis for all the Elves languages in
                              > the Sil and LOTR, and how the words of all the
                              > Gondorians, Rohirrim, etc., including all of his forms
                              > of Elvish were never made up by Tolkien, but in fact
                              > an attempt to reintroduce a little taste of Old
                              > English into the world. Fascinating to some, boring to
                              > others. If enough people want me to post my
                              > dissertation piece by piece here, I will. I figure if
                              > 20 people respond to this I will, if not, why don't
                              > you and I email privately about this stuff, as I bet
                              > you know things (lots on this list do, actually!) that
                              > I would benefit greatly from, as my study has been
                              > very one-tracked--as a dissertation must be, of
                              > course. Hopefully it will turn me into Dr.Kaufman
                              > soon!!Thanks for your emails Jack. I look forward to
                              > emailing back and forth with either you or everyone on
                              > this fascinating--at least to me--matter of languages
                              > in Olde England (B.C. to 991 A.D.) and Toklkien's
                              > England.
                              > david
                              > --- Jack <jack@t...> wrote:
                              > > Hmm, perhaps. I'm sure you're right that he made
                              > > more from his books than
                              > > he ever did from his work as an Oxford don! But I
                              > > don't think that Prof T
                              > > would have written "professional writer" on his
                              > > passport application!
                              > >
                              > > Never mind all that! Tell us more about your
                              > > thesis!
                              > > :o)
                              > > Jack

                            • david kaufman
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 2, 2004
                                I was only speaking in generalities...people like
                                Scott Turow (Presumed Innocent, etc) still practices
                                law full time, and even Grisham still takes
                                cases.....just talking in generalities, comparing this
                                to all the people who write for fun rather than for
                                any part of a profession, i.e.
                                david

                                =====
                                Have a wonderful day,
                                David Kaufman
                              • geltharin2003
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 3, 2004
                                  Ah, ok, got ya. That makes sense now. :)

                                  Robert

                                  <davidjane42@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  > > of
                                  > > > his life from royalties from his books than in the
                                  > > > meager Oxford salary (I went there, and the
                                  > > professors
                                  > > > often complained about it). Also, he published
                                  > > > articles throughout his life having to do with
                                  > > > philology, that is why I included "college
                                  > > bookstore."
                                  > > > My parents run the Child Study Center at Yale, but
                                  > > > condider them prof writers because even though
                                  > > they
                                  > > > still teach, they have written most of the modern
                                  > > > "accepted" texts on intelligence testing. So it's
                                  > > > fine line. My definition is more for people who do
                                  > > not
                                  > > > publish--that is really the line, I guess. BTW, I
                                  > > have
                                  > > > read Shippey's book(s), but am coming at my
                                  > > writing
                                  > > > from a much different viewpoint, only how it

                                • Terry Fowler
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 3, 2004
                                    <davidjane42@y...> wrote:
                                    > well, only 2 people so far want it...including you!
                                    > but I'll wait a few days, post something, and if
                                    > people like it, then I'll continue!

                                    Do post away! I'd love to read some real scholarship on JRRT.

                                    Terry Fowler