Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Done with Silmarillion

  • Christopher WALTON
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 15, 2001
      Hi Fabian,

      regarding the "writing style" of the Silmarillion - it was "edited" by
      Christopher Tolkien following his fathers death and first published in 1977,
      so how much of it is actually JRRT and how much is the work of his son is
      debatable. The Histories of Middle Earth are much more fragmentary and at
      times contradictory - as they are mostly early drafts and texts that relate
      to the over-all story but were never worked in. Saying that there is some
      very interesting material, especially Vol 12, "The Peoples of Middle Earth".

      Chris

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 20, 2004
          Speaking of the History of Middle Earth books, I was wondering if there
          was ever a complete set of all twelve volumes published? I would like
          to get the books, and while it's a minor thing, I was kind of hoping to
          get them all in a single format.

          Michael David Martin, Master Mason
          S. W. Hackett Lodge #574
          Free & Accepted Masons of California

          On Jan 20, 2004, at 7:16 PM, Fabián Poliak wrote:

          > Well, the end is nigh. I am done with the
          > Silmarillion. I have to read this book for my book
          > club, but as soon as it is done and I can squeeze in
          > some time, I will start on The Book of Lost Tales,
          > Part One. Hopefully it follows the same writing style
          > as the Silmarillion, because I can say with confidence
          > that it was the best book by Tolkien I have read to
          > date. History of Middle Earth, here I come!!!

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Nath Kuijpers
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 20, 2004
            Wednesday, January 21, 2004, 4:25:35 AM, Michael Martin wrote:

            MM> Speaking of the History of Middle Earth books, I was wondering if there
            MM> was ever a complete set of all twelve volumes published? I would like
            MM> to get the books, and while it's a minor thing, I was kind of hoping to
            MM> get them all in a single format.

            There is a three-volume hardback set (look on Amazon), that would be the best bet for single format.

            --
            Nath

            The Great Rotating Sigfile!

            Then there was the time Geronimo jumped out of an airplane and yelled, "MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"
          • Gildor Inglorion
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 21, 2004
              yes

              > Speaking of the History of Middle Earth books, I was
              > wondering if there
              > was ever a complete set of all twelve volumes
              > published? I would like
              > to get the books, and while it's a minor thing, I
              > was kind of hoping to
              > get them all in a single format.

            • riddermarkmick
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 21, 2004
                Actually, the Unfinished Tales (is this the same book as you are
                reading?) is told more in the manner of the LOTR stories are, but are
                obviously much shorter. They tend to go into more immediate depth
                since the Silm tends to tell stories over ages and years and the
                Tales is mainly stories in days and hours.

                Mickey of the Mark

                --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Fabián" Poliak
                <fabian_poliak@y...> wrote:
                > Well, the end is nigh. I am done with the
                > Silmarillion. I have to read this book for my book
                > club, but as soon as it is done and I can squeeze in
                > some time, I will start on The Book of Lost Tales,
                > Part One. Hopefully it follows the same writing style
                > as the Silmarillion, because I can say with confidence
                > that it was the best book by Tolkien I have read to
                > date. History of Middle Earth, here I come!!!

              • Lisa B.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 21, 2004
                  I like this site.....it has a lot of LOTR stuff for
                  pretty good prices.......specially the books.......It
                  has a lot of books I havent been able to find anywhere
                  and many are reduced prices.....I just ordered a
                  replacement Hobbit....and I plan to get the History Of
                  Middle Earth PB set from the UK cause it's cheaper and
                  look better (in my opinion) than the US hard cover
                  set...

                  http://www.tolkientown.com/shop/default.php

                  Lisa

                  --- Michael Martin <mdmartin@...> wrote:
                  > Speaking of the History of Middle Earth books, I was
                  > wondering if there
                  > was ever a complete set of all twelve volumes
                  > published? I would like
                  > to get the books, and while it's a minor thing, I
                  > was kind of hoping to
                  > get them all in a single format.

                  > Michael David Martin, Master Mason
                  > S. W. Hackett Lodge #574
                  > Free & Accepted Masons of California
                  >

                  > On Jan 20, 2004, at 7:16 PM, Fabi�n Poliak wrote:
                  >
                  > > Well, the end is nigh. I am done with the
                  > > Silmarillion. I have to read this book for my book
                  > > club, but as soon as it is done and I can squeeze
                  > in
                  > > some time, I will start on The Book of Lost Tales,
                  > > Part One. Hopefully it follows the same writing
                  > style
                  > > as the Silmarillion, because I can say with
                  > confidence
                  > > that it was the best book by Tolkien I have read
                  > > date. History of Middle Earth, here I come!!!

                  > > Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus"
                  > Sweepstakes
                  > > http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
                  > >
                  > > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group
                  > online and take advantage
                  > > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links,
                  > Database, Polls, Members,
                  > > and Calendar sections.
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • david kaufman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 22, 2004
                    Yes, the English Versions are all the same, in trade
                    paperback, and labelled 1-12 on the spines. It's that
                    Houghton-Mifton publisher (I can never remember the
                    real name, but it's something like that)
                    david
                    --- Michael Martin <mdmartin@...> wrote:
                    > Speaking of the History of Middle Earth books, I was
                    > wondering if there
                    > was ever a complete set of all twelve volumes
                    > published? I would like
                    > to get the books, and while it's a minor thing, I
                    > was kind of hoping to
                    > get them all in a single format.

                    > Michael David Martin, Master Mason
                    > S. W. Hackett Lodge #574
                    > Free & Accepted Masons of California
                    >

                    > On Jan 20, 2004, at 7:16 PM, Fabi�n Poliak wrote:
                    >
                    > > Well, the end is nigh. I am done with the
                    > > Silmarillion. I have to read this book for my book
                    > > club, but as soon as it is done and I can squeeze
                    > in
                    > > some time, I will start on The Book of Lost Tales,
                    > > Part One. Hopefully it follows the same writing
                    > style
                    > > as the Silmarillion, because I can say with
                    > confidence
                    > > that it was the best book by Tolkien I have read
                    > > date. History of Middle Earth, here I come!!!

                    > > Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus"
                    > Sweepstakes
                    > > http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
                    > >
                    > > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group
                    > online and take advantage
                    > > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links,
                    > Database, Polls, Members,
                    > > and Calendar sections.
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    =====
                    Have a wonderful day,
                    David Kaufman
                  • Barbara Byers
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 25, 2004
                      I read the Book of Lost Tales Parts I and II together with the
                      Silmarillion, each story at a time, because it was interesting to see
                      the evolution of the stories as Tolkien rewrote many of them. The
                      stories in "Lost Tales" often had more detail and were more interesting
                      in some ways, I though. For example, the story of the Two Trees of
                      light. But I read each straight through first.

                      Barb
                      Ann Arbor MI

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 25, 2004
                        Alright! someone who lives in MI.....so ya live lik 2
                        hours away (I live bout 30miles north of Flint)......I
                        havent read Sil yet.......but soon......almost halfway
                        done with ROTK and that comes next.....

                        Lisa

                        --- Barbara Byers <babmay11@...> wrote:
                        > I read the Book of Lost Tales Parts I and II
                        > together with the
                        > Silmarillion, each story at a time, because it was
                        > interesting to see
                        > the evolution of the stories as Tolkien rewrote many
                        > of them. The
                        > stories in "Lost Tales" often had more detail and
                        > were more interesting
                        > in some ways, I though. For example, the story of
                        > the Two Trees of
                        > light. But I read each straight through first.
                        >
                        > Barb
                        > Ann Arbor MI
                        >
                        > >From: "Fabi�n" Poliak <fabian_poliak@...>
                        > >Subject: Done with Silmarillion
                        > >
                        > >Well, the end is nigh. I am done with the
                        > >Silmarillion. I have to read this book for my book
                        > >club, but as soon as it is done and I can squeeze
                        > in
                        > >some time, I will start on The Book of Lost Tales,
                        > >Part One. Hopefully it follows the same writing
                        > style
                        > >as the Silmarillion, because I can say with
                        > confidence
                        > >that it was the best book by Tolkien I have read to
                        > >date. History of Middle Earth, here I come!!!

                        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
                      • paul_westermeyer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 16, 2005
                          Just another thought, check out this site, it has a comprehensive
                          list of what you can find in the various volumes of Christopher
                          Tolkien's scholarly masterpiece. I printed a copy and use it myself
                          to decide what sections I want to read, and what I should avoid. If
                          you find the HoME daunting, yet crave more Tolkien beyond the big
                          five, it is a great resource for directed perusing of HoME!

                          http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_hm.html
                        • Morjuc
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                            I was curious as to whether anyone has read 'The New Shadow' in book
                            XII of HoME and what they thought of it. I found it very interesting,
                            but I didn't know quite what to make of it, especially considering the
                            intro to the story where JRR Tolkien said he wasn't going to write
                            anything about the Fourth Age.

                            Alyssa
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 26, 2009
                              Not me.

                              Could you tell me about it please?

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 2, 2009
                                Well, it is set 105 years after the ring was destroyed. THe main
                                character, an old man named Borlas, was one of Faramir's guards, so
                                he was alive back then. He has a discussion with a younger man
                                (Saelon) about morality and good versus evil. They get to talking
                                about a character whose name, Herumor, makes the older man fearful.
                                Saelon tells Borlas to meet him later if he wants to learn more about
                                what this Herumor guy does.
                                The next day he's still worrying about his conversation while he is
                                out. THe story ends when he gets home with the line, "Suddenly he
                                smelt it, or so it seemed, though it came as it were from from within
                                outwards to the sense: he smelt the old Evil and knew it for what it
                                was."

                                Anyways, it is worth a read if you see it, despite my rough summary.
                                It also interested me that, according to the book, he wrote two
                                drafts of the story, despite saying that he didn't want to write
                                about the forth age. "his [Aragorn's] wars would have little interest
                                after the overthrow of Sauron; but that almost certainly a
                                restlessness would appear about then, owing to the (it seems)
                                inevitable boredom of Men with good: there would be secret societies
                                practising dark cults, and 'orc-cults' among adolescents." (J.R.R.
                                Tolkien).

                                Alyssa