the other OTHER wizard

  • Fabi�n Poliak
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
      what about the other OTHER wizard? Not the Blue
      Wizards, not Gandalf nor Saruman. The fifth guy. Who
      is he, what did he do, how was he involved, what's his
      story, is he good or bad, etc?

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • Amy Black
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
        Radagast the Brown?

        Pretty much Read 'The Hobbit'. Tolkien says of all the wizards, he was 'the most pure'.  Not too sure what he meant by that, maybe meant that he wasn't influenced by Men or... whatever *shrugs*

        Amy Black

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
          Well, I've read the Hobbit, but I don't remember much
          about him.

          --- Amy Black <amyblack@...> wrote:
          > Radagast the Brown?
          >
          > Pretty much Read 'The Hobbit'. Tolkien says of all
          > the wizards, he was 'the most pure'. Not too sure
          > what he meant by that, maybe meant that he wasn't
          > influenced by Men or... whatever *shrugs*
          >
          > Amy Black

        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
            He is referred to in The Hobbit as Gandalf's 'Cousin', and it said that he used to live someplace called Rhostgobel (sp?) near Mirkwood.  His specialty was birds and animals.  He also appeared briefly in LOTR, although not in the films.
            Pretty much Read 'The Hobbit'. Tolkien says of all the wizards, he was 'the most pure'.  Not too sure what he meant by that, maybe meant that he wasn't influenced by Men or... whatever *shrugs*

            Amy Black
            what about the other OTHER wizard? Not the Blue
            Wizards, not Gandalf nor Saruman. The fifth guy. Who
            is he, what did he do, how was he involved, what's his
            story, is he good or bad, etc?

            http://search.yahoo.com/top2003

            ---

          • Bruce Alan Wilson

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                He never appeared directly. Gandalf refers to him as his cousin. Beorn
                describes him as 'not a bad sort, as wizards go.'
                > Well, I've read the Hobbit, but I don't remember much
                > about him.
                >

                > --- Amy Black <amyblack@...> wrote:
                > > Radagast the Brown?
                > >
                > > Pretty much Read 'The Hobbit'. Tolkien says of all
                > > the wizards, he was 'the most pure'. Not too sure
                > > what he meant by that, maybe meant that he wasn't
                > > influenced by Men or... whatever *shrugs*
                > >
                > > Amy Black

                ---
              • Vinny
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                  He was Rhadaghast the Brown, serving as a messenger. I'm pretty sure Gandalf described him as a fool, and pretty sure that he was killed. I'm sure someone will have correct information to share with you, though, so I'm not exactly leaping to go look it up. Nothing personal, of course.

                  the geek shall inherit the earth.                                  jAdeFI

                • Bruce Alan Wilson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                    It was Saruman who called him a 'fool'; and the book never says what happened to him.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                      It was Saruman who described Radagast in these words:
                      "Radagast the Brown!  Radagast the Bird-tamer!  Radagast the Simple!  Radagast the Fool!"

                      It's in the Council of Elrond, quoted by Gandalf (which is probably what has led you astray...)

                      hth
                      From: Vinny [mailto:frodolives17@...]

                    • ethiercn@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                        In a message dated 1/1/2004 4:57:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, bawilson@... writes:
                        His specialty was birds and animals.  He also appeared briefly in LOTR, although not in the films
                        He delivers a messenge for Saruman, and then, unknownly, helps the eagle show up to rescue Gandalf.

                        Chris
                      • geltharin2003
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                          Radagast the Brown. He is mentioned in the books, but not in the
                          movies. He is good, not having fallen to the coruption of Sauron.
                          He was a friend of beasts and birds, and a master of shapes and
                          changed in hues, as Gandalf says, I believe in the Hobbit. He finds
                          and delivers a message to Gandalf, from Saruman, in Fellowship(book
                          form). Though he seems to have been decived by Saruman, and didn't
                          realise when he sought out Gandalf that Saruman had fallen.

                          Robert

                          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Fabián" Poliak

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                            In "Unfinished Tales" two bits of JRRTs writing about the Wizards contradict themselves.  One said that Radagast was sent specifically by Yavanna (the Vala of Nature) to look after the birds and beasts; another said that Radagast's becoming involved with animals was a 'failure' of his mission.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                              Well, in that regard I can understand.  He's befriended them to the point that he's not interacting with human-like, kinda like, a PETA guy XD as far as we know, he lives out in the woods minding himself.  Gandalf pretty much takes over his job by interacting with animals and humans *Gwahir/shadowfax/the moth I guess you could say*.

                              Eh, that's what I would assume that's what they meant by Radagast 'failing'...

                              Amy Black

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                                Yes, Rhosegobel was near to the borders of Mirkwood. I remember
                                seeing in on a map once, and I believe it was a little north west of
                                the section of the forrest that Dol Guldor was in, between the
                                forrest and Anduin. but I 'think' that Gandalf said somewhere that
                                he use to live as Rhosegobel(iirc), his departure from there would
                                probably have to do with the rise of Saruman, as a shadow had again
                                fallen upon Mirkwood by the time of LOTR.

                                Robert

                                --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Alan Wilson"
                                <bawilson@c...> wrote:
                                > He is referred to in The Hobbit as Gandalf's 'Cousin', and it said
                                that he used to live someplace called Rhostgobel (sp?) near
                                Mirkwood. His specialty was birds and animals. He also appeared
                                briefly in LOTR, although not in the films.

                              • geltharin2003
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                                  Not killed that I know of, and it was Saruman who called him a fool,
                                  not Gandalf. :)

                                  Robert

                                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Vinny <frodolives17@s...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > He was Rhadaghast the Brown, serving as a messenger. I'm pretty
                                  sure Gandalf described him as a fool, and pretty sure that he was
                                  killed. I'm sure someone will have correct information to share with
                                  you, though, so I'm not exactly leaping to go look it up. Nothing
                                  personal, of course.

                                  > the geek shall inherit the earth.
                                  jAdeFI
                                • SHADOW Kamen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                                    --- "Fabin" Poliak <fabian_poliak@...> wrote:
                                    what about the other OTHER wizard? Not the Blue
                                    Wizards, not Gandalf nor Saruman. The fifth guy. Who
                                    is he, what did he do, how was he involved, what's his
                                    story, is he good or bad, etc?

                                    __________________________________

                                    Radagast the Brown. He doesn't do much, as he just gives up on the wars and become neutral for the most part. He does lend his animals to aid the other Istari. He is the one who assigned the birds to Saruman and who sent Gwahair who rescued Gandalf. He seems to be friend with Beorn.

                                    http://www.livejournal.com/users/servokamen/
                                    http://freeopendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=A556746/
                                    http://deadjournal.com/users/servokamen/
                                    http://www.mydeardiary.com/cgi-bin/diary.cgi?a=ServoKamen