19521Book Review

    Apr 23, 2012
    I've been reading A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

    by George R.R. Martin

    I thought you might be interested in my review:

    "The Tudors go to Middle Earth. Book One of A Tale of Ice and Fire, a nine
    volume fantasy saga (of which four remain to be written), it describes the
    twisting alliances of the noble houses of Westeros, and their foes, human
    and inhuman. It's a fantasy world, apparently a big hit on Cable TV in the
    US, although not available over here except as pirate downloads from dodgy
    operators in the Balkans.

    Not all the books in the saga have been published yet, but I'm hooked
    already, and just bought Book 2...

    Martin views the world through the eyes of each of his characters in turn so
    there are no heroes, no villains. Something of a soap opera - it is a long,
    complex tale that could be history, but for the occasional dragon to remind
    you that you are not in Kansas any more.

    It isn't Tolkien, but then what is these days? "