19186RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Fellowship of the Ring Question

    Sep 1, 2009

      Dwarves are not immortal – just long-lived

      It takes a long time to grow a beard that you can tuck into your belt...

      From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rob
      Sent: 31 August 2009 19:45
      To: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Fellowship of the Ring Question

      I don’t recall or know why Frodo’s sword breaks. Sorry.

      The dwarves did not become wraiths because their rings inflamed their greed and desire for gold rather than their desire for immortality and power which is what the rings inflamed in men.

      The dwarves are already immortal so the long-life capability of the rings wouldn’t affect them by turning them into wraiths as it did with the non-immortal men. And as mentioned above, the rings played on different vices/desires of theirs than they did with men.

      I’ve never been able to keep straight who had the elven rings. Galadriel had one, I think Elrond did, and I think Gandalf was given one by the master of the Grey Havens (whose name I forget).

      And IIRC the elven rings were created purely by the elves, Sauron had no part in their making other than that he had shown them the way to make rings of power, so while they had a downside, they weren’t directly created by evil and so the effects were less deleterious.