19034Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: LOTR discussion?

  • Brian Sheehan
    May 31, 2008

      Gus,

      Greetings Gus! It would be great to have an edition of The Hobbit in Portuguese.

      I read Children of Hurin last year. I thought it was pretty good, very much in the writing style of The Silmarillion (i.e. high language). It is a tragedy in the Greek sense of the word: it is fatalistic, full of great highs and inescapable lows. Túrin, the hero, accomplishes great things, but is always brought down through his own hubris... as fated by Morgoth.

      If you enjoyed The Silmarillion, then I think you'd enjoy the Children of Hurin (CoH).

      Maybe others could chime in on their opinions of CoH?

      Regards,

      Brian

      ---