18613Re: Chapter One Comments

  • Bruce Alan Wilson
    Dec 2, 2007
      Re: Chapter One Comments

      "I confess I don't see how it is that dwarves can not be said to have life
      "after the manner of the children of Eru," also. Despite their odd origin
      they certainly had to have had souls. I don't recall if their fate after
      death is ever described.

      Rob"

      That was because of Eru's intervention.  Alwe on his own could not have given them life.

      As for their postmortem fate, the Sil says that Elves say that Dwarves 'go to stone' after death, but that the Dwarves themselves say that they go to a separate section of Mandos, where they wait until the End of Days, when they will help Alwe rebuild the world after the last great battle.  (That is what Thorin says at the end of the Hobbit, "I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers until the world is renewed.")

      Bruce Alan Wilson