18461Re: Wolves in Tolkien, European folklore & religion.

  • Bruce Alan Wilson
    Nov 6, 2007
      Re: Wolves in Tolkien, European folklore & religion.

      Precisely.  We Europeans (including "Europeans in Diaspora") are the descendants of farmers and heardsmen; no wonder we don't like wolves.  Native Americans, as a hunting people, would like wolves.  Neither opinion is wrong; each is perfectly valid from its point of view.

      And the kinship of the wolf and the dog is a good one, too.  I once heard a sermon on the passage in Isaiah on the Peaceable Kingdom, when "the wolf shall lie down with the lamb, the cow and the bear shall feed together, and a little child shall lead them".  The priest pointed out that the shepherd's dog was once a wolf; he also said that there was plenty of room in the Divine Kennel for both Collies and Rottweilers.

      Bruce Alan Wilson