18315Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Why Bloom is an awful Legolas (opinion)

  • Amalee
    Aug 28, 2007
      well said Kathy. I loved Orlando in the role of Legolas and can't imagine anyone else, playing him.

      Amalee

      Kathy Main <arnor3@...> wrote:
      I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I am personally a Haldir fan, but Orlando provided some nice eye candy too. Sorry to seem shallow, but I'm not just a fan because of the good looking elves. They just add to the already wonderrul story. hugs,Kathy

      Peter Chapman <hawkworks@ntlworld. com> wrote:
      Attempt 2 - Computer crashed for no reason on attempt 1 - lucky they don't make cars! Also, you'd have to learn to drive again each time you had a new one!

      In other words he's a "star" rather than a character actor. Like Tom Cruise except Orlando isn't an a'hole - which doesn't mean I don't enjoy Tom's films.

      But as LotR has a heavy preponderance of character actors, it doesn't hurt to have a star in it. And, like a bottle of gin in a truckfull of beer, it's "something for the ladies".

      But as to Orlando's character not fitting, well, the book Legolas doesn't actually have one - he's one of Tolkein's weakest literary creations. I think Orlando did a sterling job!

      L-o-H