      From: Gustavo
      Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 4:45 PM
      Subject: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Why Bloom is an awful Legolas (opinion)

      Orlando Bloom gave me an excellent "man trying to be a pirate". Will
      Turner was a great and happy part for him.

      He's nice in Elizabethtown, too. Character fits him.

      But I'm sorry: Legolas??? Please!: give me Paul Bettany!

      lol!
      :^))

      G.O.
      Latin Teacher

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@ yahoogroups. com, Kathy Main <arnor3@...>
      wrote:

      > I love Orlando Bloom as Legolas. I am personally a Haldir fan, but
      Orlando provided some nice eye candy too. Sorry to seem shallow, but
      I'm not just a fan because of the good looking elves. They just add
      to the already wonderrul story. hugs,Kathy

      > Peter Chapman <hawkworks@. ..> wrote: Attempt 2 - Computer
      crashed for no reason on attempt 1 - lucky they don't make cars!
      Also, you'd have to learn to drive again each time you had a new one!

      > ____________ _________ _________ _________ __
      >

      > In other words he's a "star" rather than a character actor. Like
      Tom Cruise except Orlando isn't an a'hole - which doesn't mean I
      don't enjoy Tom's films.

      > But as LotR has a heavy preponderance of character actors, it
      doesn't hurt to have a star in it. And, like a bottle of gin in a
      truckfull of beer, it's "something for the ladies".

      > But as to Orlando's character not fitting, well, the book
      Legolas doesn't actually have one - he's one of Tolkein's weakest
      literary creations. I think Orlando did a sterling job!

      > L-o-H

      Bloom.
      > Therefore, if the character fits Orlando Bloom (like Will Turner),
      its
      > all right; if it doesn't fit (like Legolas), poor Bloom can do
      nothing.

      > Orlando Bloom is too stern to play Legolas. I truly think Legolas
      > should be played by an actor who would work better the character.
      This
      > makes me think of Paul Bettany.
      >

      > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
      advantage
      > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
      Members,
      > and Calendar sections.
      > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/TolkienDis cussions
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on
      Yahoo! TV.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic