17998Re: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin

  • Paul Westermeyer
    Jun 5, 2007
      > Posted by: "Rob" fredwestermeyer@... cosmiccostello
      >I think Maeglin is justifiably angry at this sometimes yes, sometimes no
      >policy of Turgon's.
      >
      >First, Turgon's policy that basically entraps elves to living in his city is
      >basically unsupportable, IMO. You can not imprison free peoples and a policy
      >which advocates this is doomed to fail at some point. Besides just being
      >morally iffy, it is not sustainable.
      >
      >Second, if you DO have such a policy, you can't pick and choose to whom it
      >applies. Can Turgon himself leave the city? Can his royal family? Certainly
      >his spies would be able to leave, right, to gather intelligence? Regardless
      >of all that, Turgon makes a big mistake in letting Hurin and Huor go when he
      >has gone to such extremes with Eol and Maeglin. Turgon should not have
      >pushed his policy so far when push came to shove with Eol, and when he did,
      >he locked himself into a certain mode of enforcement that he should not have
      >changed for the men.
      >
      >Maeglin is justifiably angry that Turgon allowed his father to be killed
      >while he lets the men go. And Turgon is a fool for not being able to
      >understand that his actions have sown in Maeglin the seeds of anger and
      >evil.

      You've got a good point, but the policy isn't _quite_ as arbitrary as it appears at first glance. Huor and Hurin _don't_ know the way to Gondolin, they were brought to it by the eagles. And the Eagles, as mentioned are the servants of Manwe.

      Second, the elves do not remain in Gondolin indefinitely, because they are immortal they expect to leave eventually. Plus, of course, most elves are temperamentally suited to a certain level of stasis.

      But Huor and Hurin are human, and will age very swiftly by elven standards.

      So I think, ultimately, Maeglin's claim is false.

      --
      "...How shall a man judge what to do in such times?!"
      "As he has ever judged," said Aragorn "Good and evil have not changed since yesteryear..."

      Paul Westermeyer, westermeyer@...
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic