17966Re: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin

    Jun 1, 2007

      There is great imagery here with Fingolfin pounding on the gates of Angband and
      calling Melkor to come out and fight. What strikes me as strange is that Melkor
      is a demi-god in corporeal form, but we know that he has the power to shape the
      land and cause volcanic eruptions and the like. How is it that there is any
      contest at all between him and Fingolfin? Why doesn't he just open up the Earth
      and swallow Fingolfin? Why doesn't he blast him with lightning? Why can't he
      swing his hammer faster? How can Fingolfin wound him? Why doesn't he have magic
      powers to defend against Fingolfin's sword?”

      My understanding is that Melkor had put so much of his power into dominating and controlling his various minions, and in changing their natures and endowing them with special qualities, that he didn’t have much ‘discretionary’ power left for such theatrics.

      Anent the Eagles, JRRT is very big on the autonomy of ‘Free’ peoples (Elves, Men, Dwarves, Hobbits), so he doesn’t have divine agents intervene until/unless his characters have done everything in their power to solve their own problems.

      Bruce A. Wilson, M.Ed., M.S.L.S.

      Reference Librarian, W.Va. State Law Library

      304-558-2607 (direct dial: 304-340-3980)

      FAX: 304-558-3673