17277Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Next week...

  • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
    Feb 1, 2007
      Quoting Gary Bellinger <yesgaz@...>:

      > I'm curious. What books are you reading.

      1. The Future of Life -- E.O. Wilson
      2. The Last Billion Years: A Geological History of the Maritime Provinces of
      Canada -- Alantic Geoscience Society
      3. Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide

      I just finished reading Gilgamesh a week or so ago--oh, and a John Irving novel:
      The Fourth Hand.

      > I just finished RA Salvatore's
      > 'Icewind Trilogy'

      My wife reads RA Salvatore. I rarely read fiction. Tolkien is a huge departure
      from my normal reading habits. The only other two fiction authors I read
      consistently are John Irving and Roger Zelazny.

      > and am working my way through The Chronicles of Narnia.

      When I heard about the first movie coming out, I thought I would reread the 'The
      Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe'. Man was I disappointed. Total dreck. I gave up
      on the rest of the series and gave the movie a pass.

      I've read a few other Lewis books, but the Christian allegory is so overpowering
      that his works become tedious to me.