16764Re: Tolkien works

  • Gustavo
    Nov 1, 2006
      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, whiteladyofrohan@...
      wrote:

      > Final question: The History of Middle Earth Volume 6 is
      subtitled, The
      > Return of the Shadow, the histories of the Lord of the Rings, Part
      1. Is there a
      > Part 2 or is The Lord of the Rings considered Part 2?

      As master Bellinger said, and his scheme was very clear!, this is
      HoME:

      Volume 1: The Book of Lost Tales, Part 1
      Volume 2: The Book of Lost Tales, Part 2
      Volume 3:The Lays of Beleriand
      Volume 4:The Shaping of Middle Earth
      Volume 5: The Lost Road
      Volume 6: The Return of the Shadow - The History of Middle Earth,
      Part 1
      Volume 7: The Treason of Isengard - The History of Middle Earth,
      Part 2
      Volume 8: The War of the Ring - - The History of Middle Earth, Part
      3
      Volume 9: Sauron Defeated: The End of the Third Age - The History of
      Middle Earth, Part 4
      Volume 10: Morgoth's Ring - The Later Silmarillion, Part 1
      Volume 11: The War of the Jewels - The Later Silmarillion, Part 2
      Volume 12: The Peoples of Middle Earth

      > Can someone enlighten me? Where does the Complete History of
      Middle Earth
      > Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 fit into the History of Middle Earth
      Volumes 1
      > through 12? Or does it not? Are these three books outside the
      HOME series?
      > Also, is Unfinished Tales the same thing you'd find in The Book
      of Lost Tales 1
      > and 2 (aka The History of Middle Earth Volumes 1 and 2)?

      I've read The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales. I haven't read all
      HoME, but only BoLT2, and set eyes and hands on Lays of Beleriand...

      (I can hardly believe that, for... whatever matters, I have burnt it
      all!... But it happened. Now I have to buy it all again, and I have
      no money... But that's... say... well: I'll survive. Someday,
      anyway...)

      In what concerns Unfinished Tales and BoLT1, I can't say, for I had
      never had chance to put hands or eyes on BoLT1, but, having read
      vol. 2, it doesn't make sense to me. If I'm not mistaken -- for I
      remember slightly having put hands once on BoLT1, it tells stories
      of the Silmarillion... (?)

      Unfinished Tales and Book of Lost Tales II are definitely not the
      same thing.

      SILMARILLION & UNFINISHED TALES

      Silmarillion & Unfinished Tales are a series apart from HoME.

      One can read only Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Hobbit and the
      Lord of the Rings to have Ages before the Sun, and Ages I, II and
      III of the Sun.

      Silmarillion tell stories of elven-lore of first age, and a bit of
      second age.

      Unfinished Tales brings part of first age, plenty of second age, and
      a bit of third age.

      Silmarillion, however, is more lore-shaped, while Unfinished Tales
      is more in the style of the appendices of LotR. It's kind of text is
      more like scientific text. Different from Silmarillion.

      (And The Hobbit and LotR are modern epic, which they call novel, or
      something like.)

      By lore I mean mythic. This is why even Gilgamesh came up, in the
      last discussions... It also has a bit to do with the Torah of the
      Hebrews and the first Books-of-the-Prophets (Neviim)*, and Greek
      epics Ilias, Odysseia.

      This is, also, -- maybe -- one reason why many people find
      Silmarillion, as well as the Patriarchs of the Hebrews ("genesis")
      boring books to read, and versions of the Greek epics in verse. (As
      well as Gilgamesh.)

      Usually, one strong reason for people to find it hard to read these
      texts is not to have a reason to do it, other than the will of
      knowledge of them. This is, also, the reason why lists like these
      exist. (As well as the Britannica! :^)

      SOME IDEAS
      'Have others, but I'll spare you of them, right now.

      Gustavo
      a Classicist ... without a pipe. Sorry.

      (Modern Classicists use other things, different from smoke-making
      wood-tools. I use the mandolin. It doesn't make smoke, but sound.
      Like an ainu... :^)

      Only one post-scriptum. I almost forgot The Adventures of Tom
      Bombadil, which someone in this list likes very much, in the
      religious feature of his thesis on the R. Tolkien's demiurge (...).
      Together with Unfinished Tales (third part) The Hobbit and LotR, it
      makes a good picture of the III Age of the Sun, in its whole.

      _

      *Joshua, the judges, Samuel, Natan, Eliah, Eliah's disciple (don't
      know his name in English...); different from the style of the rest
      of the Neviim: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and the 12, except Hagai;
      Daniel, for most modern Hebrews, doesn't make part of the Prophets.)
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic