16763Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Tolkien works

  • tea_party@ourbrisbane.com
    Nov 1, 2006
      I think I can answer the other part as I am just finishing reading the two 'Book
      of Lost Tales' and am also in the middle of The Silmarillion for the second time.

      'Unfinished Tales' and 'The Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2' are overlapping earlier
      drafts of 'The Silmarillion'. They contain earlier, previously unpublished
      drafts of the tales told in 'The Silmarillion'. The drafts are usually longer
      and more detailed than the final versions that made it into 'The Silmarillion'.
      Tolkien removed a lot of detail and changed many events, names, and characters
      in his final drafts of these stories.

      Matt West