16649RE: [TolkienDiscussions] The LotR Tarot

  • Pippin
    Sep 2, 2006

      Interesting. I was born and raised in the Catholic church. Left around age
      17 because of many things, mostly the lack of women priests.

      > Obviously the executors of the estate felt differently or just didn't give
      > the matter much thought or the thing just slipped past them at the time.

      Or they gave it a lot of thought and came to the same conclusion I did.

      'An especial thank you to Laurie Battle of Tolkien Enterprises for her
      support, advice, and personal enthusiasm for this project...' says one of
      the acknowledgments. Tolkien Enterprises is a division of the Saul Zaentz
      company in Berkeley California US.

      Some, including myself, see what's pagan on its face, so we'll have to
      share Tolkien. We do not know if his letters are any more revealing of his
      true throughts than his books about Wizards, Elves, Sauron, Jewels, and
      Rings. Maybe it was all nothing more than a vehicle for playing with
      languages and their connection to mythology.

      I better understand your opinion about the 'double standard' or
      'dichotomy'. My difficulty understanding others' perceived dichotomies
      probably relates most to my lack of a sharp dividing line between the
      material and spiritual worlds.

      I leave you (and probably leave this thread) with a footnote from Daniel
      Grotta's biography of Tolkien:

      Tolkien once said that 'hobbits have what you might call universal morals.
      I should say that they are examples of natural philosophy and natural
      religion.' He also revealed that 'the book is about the world that God
      created--the actual world of this planet.'

      Pippin

      'I am in fact a hobbit in all but size.' J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic