16646RE: [TolkienDiscussions] The LotR Tarot

    Sep 2, 2006
      <<The Mirror of Galadriel is clearly similar to a Tarot pack, both in its
      ability to see the future and in its inaccuracy.>>

      I can confidently say that you are definitely 100% sort of correct! ;) There
      is a bit of foreknowledge involved with the mirror, however, I have always
      viewed it not as a television to the future, but rather as (as its name
      implies) a mirror which just happens to be able to reflect a person's
      inner-self rather than just the outward appearance. Everything a person who
      looks into it sees is based inside their own self and is an extrapolation
      from inside them. What I mean is that I've always had the impression that if
      Galadriel were looking over Frodo's shoulder into the mirror at the same
      time they would both be seeing different things in it because it was
      reflecting their own self back to them rather than being a TV to the future.
      IIRC she has to ask Frodo what he saw, doesn't she? If the mirror were a TV
      to the future, wouldn't she have been able to see what it was showing Frodo
      just as well as he?

      <<I wondered why the Catholic Church is so down on Tarot so I looked and
      found this:

      Catechism of the Catholic Church
      Divination and magic

      2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a
      sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the
      hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all
      unhealthy curiosity about it.

      2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or
      demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to
      "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading,
      interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and
      recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and,
      in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate
      hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we
      owe to God alone.>>

      Yes, that says it pretty perfectly.