16642RE: [TolkienDiscussions] The LotR Tarot

    Sep 1, 2006

      The Mirror of Galadriel is clearly similar to a Tarot pack, both in its ability to see the future and in its inaccuracy.

      I wondered why the Catholic Church is so down on Tarot so I looked and found this:

      Catechism of the Catholic Church
      Divination and magic

      2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

      2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

      2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.

      For more discussion, look here:

      http://www.catholic-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422

      hth

      Jack

      From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com [mailto: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Pippin

      I'm not following.

      JRRT defended having reincarnation in his writing (if I understand you), and he wrote extensively about a wizard using magic on the good guys' side and seeing stones and (in the movie version) a big perfume bottle from Galadriel that lights up in spider caves, but you believe he would object to a Tarot deck (which to me is certainly not a tool of the underworld) using his characters? I think he would have been delighted, based on what I've read (including a biography), and apparently enough people at Tolkien Enterprises agreed in order to authorize this Tarot/game.

      By the way...

      Tarot developed by Terry Donaldson

      Artwork by Peter Pracownik

      Game rules by Mike Fitzgerald

      'Dedicated to Gandalf--Long may his friendship be with us.'

      I also don't understand 'secondary world'.  Does this mean if JRRT had written pornography, it would have been OK with his Roman Catholic self, as long as the setting was Middle Earth?

      Perhaps I will understand if I read his letters. At present, the idea still feels like reading someone else's private mail, but that feeling may pass.

      Pippin