16576Hi all! Here I am again :^)

  • g.olivieri
    Aug 6, 2006
      I'm Gustavo, from Rio. First read 'The Lord of the Rings' when I was 14, and I can say it influenced my life: I'm Latin student, nowadays, coursing so as to become language and etymology teacher.

      (Sounds familiar?)

      When I found out Latin I was dazzled, because I already knew the familiarities between Quenya and Sindarin, and as I saw Latin and my own language -- Portuguese -- I thought to myself "wow!, that 'guy' didn't take that whole thing from nowhere!..."

      Indeed, prof. J. Tolkien was language teacher (so, eager student, as well), and new, among others, Old English, and his work in Sindarin and Quenya reflects dearly well the history of a language.

      (In the conception of mortal-men, because, in case of Quenya and Sindarin, the languages only grew different because of the distance: Quenya was developed on the West of the Valar-Belain, and Sindarin, in the Middle-earth. Later, but still in the First Age they met again, as Feanor and the Noldor went back to Middle-earth, exiled for having killed his kin, because of the silmarilli.)

      If Romans were an immortal people, as the idealized elves of 'master' writer John T., we, Portuguese speakers, would kind of speak something like Sindarin, compared to their language, the language of old Rome.

      I'm fond of the movies, as well, whoever I will rather have the books than the movies as source of inspirations. Maybe because I, too, intend to publish, someday, the things I write.

      (Something I like in the films is the ... how to say?... eficiency in putting in motion Alan Lee's work, which is very beautiful and, in many features, close to the artist John Tolkien's own art-work.)

      However, I'm always careful to point out that Peter Jackson's work, no matter how remarkable may it be, is only ONE reading, one personal -- in a way very collective, but even so, personal -- interpretation of a work that is far more rich and deep than a film language is able to make.

      (Eowyn's despair, in Pelennor, and the slay of the Witch-king of Angmar, can be compared to Homer's epic poem, and it's less than a hundred years old!...)

      Did Achilles die tragically, according to what his gods told so?... Did any man called Achilles ever existed? Well, king Theoden did not exist, but maybe, as it's been discussed recently, the common citizen John T. did see horrible things in a trench... So, maybe a witch never threatened him, but he may have felt as big as a hobbit, in desperate situations that aren't completely lost in eternity, 'cause he WROTE about hobbits hiding from weird black knights, in the middle of desert roads...

      War still reaches us, even now. Rio de Janeiro lives under constant "war". Sampaulo (Brazil) has been recently devastated by some sort of modern terror. And the western civilization still mourns for New York.

      But, from the wars of mankind, there's a thought that, maybe, just maybe, when the war is over, we will take a boat and fly toward some refuge. It's no magic: it's art.

      Where can we run to, when things are difficult? To Mars? I hope so, but then I'll jump from J. T. to Jules Verne.

      The virtue of John Tolkien, in my life, and in my literature, is thinking about the past. The way Tolkien taught us how to write is a legacy to mankind, and worths his name among others such as Homer, Virgil and Miguel de Cervantes. And so many others.

      So, let us have a good time! Everyone's invited to talk! Maybe we might play something around here, for a change?... What do you think, Jack?

      In touch,

      Gustavo,

      Rio.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic