      -----Original Message-----
      From: TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve I believe
      this to be one of the few instances of giants being
      mentioned. We see trolls and goblins, but here there are giants. Now Bilbo
      mentioning the werewyrms and such in the first chapter could easily have
      been mentioning creatures of myth, but here stone giants are throwing
      boulders about, causing an extra hazard.
      The goblin detail is great. They love the machinations of destruction
      and build great machines for killing many people at once. An allusion to
      the wars of today and the part goblins played in advancing the destruction
      of the natural world. I am not saying that this is great, but the way
      Tolkien ties Middle-Earth of ages past and our world of today is brilliant.

      If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would
      be a merrier world.
      J. R. R. Tolkien

      Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.