16057Re: Philip Pullman

  • Morjuc
    Oct 12 2:21 PM
      I was not aware of his feelings regarding Tolkien, as I haven't really looked
      into Pullman himself very much. I enjoy his realistic characters and the
      imagination of his writing. Reecently I read his other series (the one beginning
      with "The Ruby in the Smoke") which I also found good.
      It is interesting to see how a writer's opinions are revealed (or not) in their
      writing as hearing that he said nasty things about Tolkien really surprised me.

      Alyssa

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"
      <fredwestermeyer@c...> wrote:

      > <<A couple of people have mentioned Philip Pullman. I have to confess, I
      > mostly know him as "the man who slagged off Tolkien". I seem to recall he
      > said some pretty nasty things about the Professor and that rather put me off
      > his work, thinking "Well if I like Tolkien and Pullman doesn't, then I
      > probably won't like Pullman". Is this a reasonable assumption? Obviously
      > not.>>
      >
      > Michael Moorcock also slagged off the Professor, but I like his work.
      >
      > Pullman's work is good. The third book of his trilogy is a bit of a letdown,
      > but... whatcha gonna do? He is definitely no Tolkien or C.S. Lewis in terms
      > of religion. As a guy raised Catholic I did find his work a bit off-putting
      > in how it seems to have a little bit of hatred against Christianity, but in
      > the end I didn't care because it is a fantasy book first of all, and
      > everyone is entitled to their worldview. Tolkien's worldview influenced his
      > work and lies there underneath the fiction, so does Pullman's. You don't
      > have to agree or disagree to enjoy the stories, though.
      >
      > So it may be worth chceking out. I suspect Pullman's anti-Tolkien comments
      > are more about Tolkien's Catholicism than about Tolkien's writing, you
      know?
      > That is sad, but there it is. Certainly you can't (legitimately) slag
      > Tolkien's writing talent given that he wrote one of the few books of the
      > 20th century that will probably be studied in schools from this point
      > forward. I doubt you'll be able to say the same for Pullman.
      >
      > It is still a fun trilogy of books. Though certainly more deserving of
      > fundamentalist haranguing than LOTR or Harry Potter. But fundamentalist
      > anythings aren't people worth listening to, I've found, about anything since
      > they hate anything that is outside their worldview and then feel attacked by
      > anything that doesn't stroke their worldview and they say that thing is
      > "attacking" them. Real martyr/persecution complexes. Frankly I believe that
      > exact same tendency is what lies behind Pullman's need to subtly attack
      > Tolkien. From either direction I find it sad.
      >
      > All JMO, of course.
      >
      > Rob

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic