15992Re: The Professor Speaks

  • Morjuc
    Sep 20, 2005
      I am very late in replying to this, but I just wanted to point out
      that some people might consider the jazz/ragtime analogy as a
      compliment american english.

      - Galad

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"
      <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
      > It was in the Letters. He was talking about an encounter with a
      GI during WW-II, whom he condeded was personally a nice young man
      once you got to know him. After he made the 'dirty sponge' remark
      he compared what Americans did to English, the language of Chaucer,
      Milton, Shakespere, Pope, etc. with what what jazz, ragtime, etc.
      did to the piano, an instrument made for Schubert, Beehoven and
      Chopin. (Mrs. T. was a pianist, you may remember.)