15987Re: The Professor Speaks

  • George
    Sep 6, 2005
      That's right!!! Thanks Bruce. Was that the guy he met in a bar or

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Bruce"
      <brucewilson@m...> wrote:
      > It was in the Letters. He was talking about an encounter with a GI
      during WW-II, whom he condeded was personally a nice young man once
      you got to know him. After he made the 'dirty sponge' remark he
      compared what Americans did to English, the language of Chaucer,
      Milton, Shakespere, Pope, etc. with what what jazz, ragtime, etc. did
      to the piano, an instrument made for Schubert, Beehoven and Chopin.
      (Mrs. T. was a pianist, you may remember.)