15978Re: The Professor Speaks

  • George
    Sep 5, 2005
      Where in Boston do you live? From my house to Fenway Park is only
      about 46 miles door-door.

      The assimilation you speak of is not entirely true though. People of
      different ethnic groups who had foreign accents raised their children
      in that enviroment and the children learned the basic Rhode Island
      accent in school and in other environments creating a mixed accent.
      As the generations go on some of one accent may begin to dissappear,
      but this is not all that common, particularly in the Greater
      Providence area. Assimilation is far more common in areas south of
      the center of the state (East Greenwich, Exeter, Narragansett, North
      and South Kingstown, etc.) where intermarriage between ethnic groups
      (natives/1st-3rd generation) and the local populations are
      predominently White-American Yankees.

      ~George

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Neal D. O'Brien"