15977Re: The Professor Speaks

  • George
    Sep 5, 2005
      Of course there are different accents in Rhode Island. Just like a
      Massachusetts accent is very different in Boston than it is say in
      Attleboro or Fall River.

      The immigrant twist on Rhode Island accents is what I am getting at,
      not a foreign accent. In North Providence (my hometown) has a Rhode
      Island accent very different than the stereotype Rhode Island accent
      from say Warwick. North Providence, Pawtucket, Cranston, Johnston and
      most of Providence were Italian and a few Greek neighborhoods up until
      the 1970's or so. This is still somewhat true of the first three
      communities. Burrillville, North Smithfield and Woonsocket have and
      still are mostly people of French-Canadian descent. East Providence,
      Bristol and Warren (most of the East Bay) is Portuguese. The accents
      from these places are all very distinct. They all have the base model
      Rhode Island accents, but the people who have lived there the past 2-4
      generations have compounded it with other influences, created
      individual accents in each community.

      ~George

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Neal D. O'Brien"