Re: Sukeban Deka

  • kaijupro
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
      I have the first 12 episodes of SUKEBAN DEKA II and the first film
      (all from the prerecords). They are buried in one of my video tape
      boxes here at the house... I am sure that these will eventually be
      issued on DVD, since Toei is just building up steam in their DVD
      releases.

      Peace,
      Au
    • kaijupro

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
          --- In TokusatsuPlanet@y..., emiko_toku99 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I thought Toei was releasing the series on
          > DVD and VHS. Double check on their video
          > section I'm almost positive I saw it there. ^_^

          Toei Video put up special section on SUKEBAN DEKA series in their
          official homepage to promote their released softs. Their list is too
          short for me to make out whether it is released both on DVD and VHS
          or VHS only. (It seems that they offer 'rental-only' VHS format in
          the list below)

          http://www.toei-video.co.jp/data/special/sukeban/index.html
          TV series (season 1)

          http://www.toei-video.co.jp/data/special/sukeban/index2.html
          TV series (season 2)

          http://www.toei-video.co.jp/data/special/sukeban/index3.html
          TV series (season 3)

          http://www.toei-video.co.jp/data/special/sukeban/index4.html
          The movies

          FYI, they categorized it as 'Drama' (like soap opera) not 'Tokusatsu'
          (special effects-oriented show).

          Hope this helps,
          zonnel ii
        • hakaider02
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
            Thanks for the info zonnel2! ^_^

            I hope it comes out on DVD soon. It's funny that Toei would list it
            as "drama" when it has all the similar combat action elements to the
            other Tokusatsu shows. Secret agent scholgirls with killer yoyos
            aren't exactly what you would define as the run of the mill serious
            drama. (The movie even had Saki Asamiya fighting a cyborg!)Plus it
            was originally a manga series.

            I remember hearing back in the 1980's when the Saki Asamiya(As played
            by Yohko "Nanno" Minmamino) dolls were selling out in Japan.

            I haven't seen any Sukeban Deka cosplayers for awhile. Hope they come
            out again someday. ( Some model companies even released the Sukeban
            Deka killer yoyo models,(Both T.V. and movie versions) but it's
            probably really difficult to find those YoYo models today.
          • kaijupro
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
              There was also a three-volume anime OVA series based directly on the
              manga about ten years ago.

              Peace,
              Augus
            • hakaider02
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
                --- In TokusatsuPlanet@y..., kaijupro <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > There was also a three-volume anime OVA series based directly on
                the manga about ten years ago.

                > Peace,
                > Augus

                The American company, AD Vision has bought the North American rights
                for the anime version of Sukeban Deka for a few years now. It is
                currently available in both subtitled and dubbed versions.

                The tapes and DVD can be ordered at AD Vision's official website:

                http://www.advfilms.com/catitem.html?c=all&k=sk001

                http://www.advfilms.com/catitem.html?c=all&k=sk002

                By the way thanks for the links again, zonnel2.It was most helpful.
                I hope that Toei will release the live action version on DVD soon.