Re: Res: [Tillandsias] Hello!

  • Karen Andreas
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011
      I will be most interested in finding out if there
      are any Tillandsia e-books available. In the
      meantime, there should be a wealth of information
      about these bromeliads from the members
      of this group - so I will start a discussion (I hope!).

      Tillandsias are divided into two groups: the gray
      leaf Tillandsias and the soft or green leaf Tillandsias.

      Gray leaf Tillandsias have tougher leaves and
      generally can take higher amounts of
      light. They should be mounted or grown bare root
      - they do well in shallow wooden orchid baskets
      with no soil. Examples of this type are T.
      fasciculata, T. utriculata, T. baileyi, T. ionantha, T. paucifolia.

      The Tillandsia /green/soft leaf side of the
      family generally has green leaves which are, well, softer than the
      grayish leaf Tillandsias. They can be grown in
      well draining soil, and can do well in pots and especially
      orchid baskets lined with shade cloth and well
      draining potting medium. They generally take lower light,
      doing well in morning light or filtered afternoon
      light. Examples are T. laxissima, T, libolidana, T. sierrahalensis.

      There are some varieties such as T. cyanea and T.
      lindenii that seem to fall in between. If you compare,
      however, you will see that they fall more on the
      green leaf side and, I can tell you from experience, will
      do well potted.

      To view pictures of these and many other
      Tillandsias, go to the Bromeliad Encyclopedia of the Florida
      Council of Bromeliads at fcbs.org, click on the
      Photo Index, then Tillandsias. The ones I have cited here
      are under Species.

      I live in Florida and have been growing
      bromeliads, including Tillandsias for 25 years or so now. I really
      look forward to a discussion on information and growing techniques.

      Karen Andreas
      Central Florida, East Coast

      At 12:48 AM 3/28/2011, you wrote:

      >Dear friends,
      >I would like to ask the members of this group to
      >share some Tillandsia e-books.
      >Unlike other bromeliad genera, it´s very difficult to find something on-line
      >about airplants to download.

      >Best wishes,

      >Ivan Paulo Junior
      >Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
      >
      >________________________________
      >De: fafner <<mailto:fafner%40bftb.net>fafner@...>
      >Para: <mailto:Tillandsias%40yahoogroups.com>Tillandsias@yahoogroups.com
      >Enviadas: Domingo, 27 de Março de 2011 22:30:07
      >Assunto: Re: [Tillandsias] Hello!
      >

      >It warms my cockles to hear that someone new has discovered the magic of
      >bromeliads. It makes me happy. Welcome to a world you will probably never
      >forget.
      >Jere

    • Karen Andreas
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011
        Also at fcbs.org, under Bromeliad Information: An Illustrated Guide
        to Mounting Tillandsias and
        three articles on growing Tillandsias from seed.

        Karen