Still around

  • dennis_d
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 24, 2011
      Hi all hope a certain author is still plugginh away and on that,
      I'll try to update my trio fic if he does!

      dennisud
    • Brian64
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
        Hi Dennis,

        Still around, but unfortunately still not doing much fic writing. Mostly I'm just writing manuals/user guides for work as well as editing and drafting various resumes, job applications and cover letters for my clients.

        I had a reader post reviews for almost every chapter yesterday though which brought the story back to mind, and the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm likely to get the urge to write more of it.

        So with that thought.. anyone feel like discussing characters or plotlines?

        For example, who wants to take a shot at Luna?

        My take on Luna was a little different to how I'd seen her portrayed in fanfics at the time I was writing (in 2008), and I tried to write her as I believed JKR created her. Most other fics seemed to have her as some sort of mystical seer making her act strange, or she was just plain crazy, or else we had the crazy but fun 'Poo!Luna' created by Rorschach's Blot in his 'Larceny, Lechery and Luna Lovegood' (aka thief) fic.

        The other portrayal in fics had her completely normal but wearing a mask - in other words playing a role as a nutcase. I kinda dislike those generally, because I think it takes the uniqueness away from her. Really, if people want a story about a girl playing a part, there are plenty of slytherins to choose from already. The entire Daphne Greengrass character has been created almost solely in fanon, and is mostly always, always characterised as an 'ice princess' (aside: loved Luan Mao's take & reversal of that paradigm!)

        Okay, back to what I was talking about before getting lost on a tangent... Things have obviously changed since 'Larceny' and a lot more stories, especially 'Lunar Harmony' stories, have been written with Luna being a little odd, but not too crazy. I think Rors' wrote the first H/L/Hr fic with Larceny above, but I'm going to assume some credit for starting the rush of them which include a relatively 'sane' Luna.. :)

        My view is that Luna isn't a seer, or a total nutcase, or wearing a mask. I think most of her behaviour comes from her loneliness and active imagination. Without friends to focus on, she creates her own world to keep her happy and entertained, and uses that as an escape to avoid the pain and sadness she'd otherwise experience.

        Obviously her experiences at 9 with her mother's death, and living with her crazy father have influenced her, and pushed her further into her imaginary world than the real one.

        I think that having real friends would make her focus more on them and what they are doing than spending time with her imagination, which is why she is less 'loony' around them. There are plenty of examples in canon to support this belief.

        I see Luna as naturally following the Serenity prayer; "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change those things I can and the wisdom to know one from the other". though whether she has actually read/heard of it or not is another question.

        I think she is adorable, but also just as flawed as everyone else is - which is good because who wants a "Luna-Sue"? Her main flaw in my story (at the moment) is her direct interference in Harry's love life. She's adding confusion and unhappiness at a time when he really just needs her love and some stability in his life.

        Yes, she's very well-meaning and has Harry's ultimate happiness in mind as well, but she's gone beyond encouraging him to consider Hermione as a girlfriend, and has pushed him away from herself and to her. How very Dumbledorean to assume she knows best! So I think she's certainly taken a few steps along that paved road to Hell with her good intentions (some of which are quite selfish in aiming to protect her own heart).

        In many ways I think that's perfectly understandable; after all, she lacks any experience with romance and she's only around 15* (*I haven't found any canon date for her birthday!) Perhaps with another 100 years she could get to the Dumbledore's level, but she's making an early start.

        So... anyone else have any thoughts of Luna?

        Brian

        --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "dennis_d" <dennis_d@...> wrote:

        > Hi all hope a certain author is still plugginh away and on that,
        > I'll try to update my trio fic if he does!
        >
        > dennisud

      • Ian Alexander
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
          Well in my writings I tend to have her as a seer but not in the sense of being an Oracle.  I often do this because in my stories humans gain magic over time by breeding with magical creatures such as the Veela back when travel between different worlds was easier.  (Thus magical creatures are not native to this plane)

          In Luna's case, she has faerie blood in her blood line.  In a future story I'm thinking of it is such that her mother didn't die but merely had to return to the faerie realm because she could not stay any longer in the 'mortal realm' - this also explains a bit of Xeno's eccentricities since he spent time in the faerie realm and it sort of affected him.

          Of course in most stories, Luna is a untrained seer and that's that.  In the above story she would actually be able to manifest more faerie attributes such as wings.  This story is going to center on the the cross-beings and how they are discriminated against even though they are the saviors of magic since Purebloods are diluting the very genes which make them magic.

          When they ask us why we died; tell them it was because our Father's lied.
          Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936) Writer

        • Ralph S.
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
            On 03/27/11 00:41, Brian64 wrote:
            > So... anyone else have any thoughts of Luna?
            Well, canon Luna certainly got the short straw; losing her mum at 9 (to
            clarify: sometime around 1990), coming to Hogwarts a mere two years
            later and is promptly bullied, THEN our heroes (and heroine) scoff at
            her even though they should know better... and if that wasn't enough,
            when she's finally able to make friends her father does his level best
            to take the away from her (in DH).

            Why JKR used her as comic relief I'll never know, and I better stop
            thinking about it lest I start to rant...again. ;o)

            ... So... Luna. Yes, anything that'll return... something... to Luna is
            all good in my book.

            On the other hand, there's the danger of her becoming a Luna Sue...
            although I think that's more of an "author problem" than a "character
            problem" in that (IMO) the author was just looking for "someone to safe
            the day" and, depending on which person that author likes most, he or
            she gets the Sue Ball, be that Ginny, Hermione, Luna, or anyone male or
            female. Most likely it's a self-insert, anyway.

            Other than that, I see her as a fairly spiritual person. ... That is to
            say, she's willing to accept anything and everything no matter how small
            the possibilities, requiring proof for "non-existence" -- polar opposite
            to Hermione's accepting /nothing at all/ until it's slapped in her face
            (read: it's written down in a book).

            With magic added into the picture, we already know logic goes out the
            window. So, there's nothing to tell us whether "her" animals (?) do, or
            do not, exist. In Luna's words: there's nothing that says they don't; in
            Hermione's: there's nothing that says they do.

            As characterizations go, my favorite Luna by far is the one in
            Aealkets's /Heart's Home/.

            ToP Luna... yes, you already said it: she's a bit of a Dumbledore.
            Whether or not that's something that can be forgiven is open for
            interpretation; myself, I think it just underlines her own insecurities
            (pushing him away before he can hurt her). That adds a bit of depth to
            her character, but on the other hand it means "final judgment" will have
            to wait until that situation is resolved. (Then again of course, unless
            I'm much mistaken a lot of ToP [as posted] is still up in the air. Lots
            of time - and chapters - then to resolve everything, and get Harry with
            Luna...or Hermione... or both.)
          • Brian64
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
              --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

              > ToP Luna... yes, you already said it: she's a bit of a Dumbledore.
              > Whether or not that's something that can be forgiven is open for
              > interpretation; myself, I think it just underlines her own insecurities
              > (pushing him away before he can hurt her). That adds a bit of depth to

              Agreed about the insecurities. Something else that occurred to me when I thought about Luna are the various contrasts in her personality. For example, she behaves so vague and ditzy most times, yet she was sorted into Ravenclaw and was one of the students able to produce a corporeal (hare) patronus in Dumbledore's Army while still in her fourth year.

              So while she is normally appearing so self-contained about the bullying not really affecting her, and courageous enough to take a stand by joining the DA, she's conversely not willing to risk heartbreak.

              > her character, but on the other hand it means "final judgment" will have
              > to wait until that situation is resolved. (Then again of course, unless
              > I'm much mistaken a lot of ToP [as posted] is still up in the air. Lots
              > of time - and chapters - then to resolve everything, and get Harry with
              > Luna...or Hermione... or both.)

              I'd like to think that every one of the characters has an opportunity to grow and change based on circumstances, and the choices they are willing to make. I think the likelihood of that happening depends on what sort of effort they are willing to make, and how deep-seated their normal behaviour is.

              Snape, for example, is not going to lose his antagonism towards Harry overnight, or without a damn good reason. He's spent years hating his existence even before he set foot in Hogwarts, and has resented having to protect him those times he has done so. In canon Snape wasn't truly evil, but he was still a nasty piece of work regardless.

              In canon he was able to walk both sides because he had the support of both Dumbledore and Voldemort. Now that Dumbledore isn't going to give him free rein to do what he wants, will that make Snape turn more towards the dark for acceptance? Or will Snape realise that he needs to change in order to 'stay' on the side of the light (regardless of what we might think of him, canon has him working on the light side).

              Back to Luna though, I don't think what she's doing could be considered 'unforgiveable'. I think she's misguided in some ways, and she recognises that what she's doing is for herself as well as for Harry's benefit, so she isn't deceiving herself or anyone else (since she's explained this to Hermione as well).

              Brian
            • Ralph S.
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
                On 03/27/11 04:21, Brian64 wrote:
                > Agreed about the insecurities. Something else that occurred to me when I thought about Luna are the various contrasts in her personality. For example, she behaves so vague and ditzy most times, yet she was sorted into Ravenclaw and was one of the students able to produce a corporeal (hare) patronus in Dumbledore's Army while still in her fourth year.
                Are you sure that wasn't a Snorkack? ;o)
                As for the vagueness... well, Luna has her own brand of being vague,
                that's true. But, to me, it's (just) an expression of her being...
                accepting. When you try to allow for anything and everything, you're NOT
                thinking in absolutes (black/white) but in shades (of grey). In other
                words, you are being vague.

                > So while she is normally appearing so self-contained about the bullying not really affecting her, and courageous enough to take a stand by joining the DA, she's conversely not willing to risk heartbreak.
                Not conversely, no. Luna has built a wall, to protect herself from all
                the pain - it's probably safe to say she started to withdraw when her
                mother died, and then when she went to Hogwarts two years later and the
                bullying began, it was either "the wall holds" or "breakdown". Not much
                of a choice.
                As a direct result, she's /detached/ from her surroundings, and it will
                be HARD for her to actually reconnect with reality in general (and
                Harry, or Hermione, in particular). She'll find it hard to see them as
                /people/, not /part of the landscape/; actually explaining her
                Dumbledoreish thought processes - and actions - rather well.

                I think it's this detachment that allows her to retain some of her...
                innocence isn't quite the word, but I guess you know what I mean.
                (Carelessness? Naivete? None of these seem right, but they're still a
                part of her being Luna.)

                Conversely, all this still leads to one sad conclusion: that Luna is,
                for all intents and purposes, a broken doll. Her detachment protects her
                from the world, but if she lets Harry and/or Hermione in, either of them
                might well push her over the brink into insanity... and somehow I think
                Luna is aware of that. On the other hand, she's going to NEED them - if
                only to anchor her - and I bet she knows that, too.

                ... You can see the conflict poor Luna has to deal with.
              • Brian64
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
                  Hi Ralph,

                  (Second attempt at this post.. damned IE deleted my first as I was changing the subject heading and pressed enter instead of tab!)

                  --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

                  > Not conversely, no. Luna has built a wall, to protect herself from all
                  > the pain - it's probably safe to say she started to withdraw when her
                  > mother died, and then when she went to Hogwarts two years later and the
                  > bullying began, it was either "the wall holds" or "breakdown". Not much
                  > of a choice.

                  Hmmm, I think walls are meant to keep everything out, and as you said, those people building them withdraw behind them to keep themselves safe. Walls also keep them *in* and relatively unchanging as well, so they wouldn't tend to venture out past them to make new friends or try new things.

                  Luna does make new friends, takes risks (like the DA) and is willing to change, so I don't think she has built a wall.

                  > As a direct result, she's /detached/ from her surroundings, and it will
                  > be HARD for her to actually reconnect with reality in general (and
                  > Harry, or Hermione, in particular). She'll find it hard to see them as
                  > /people/, not /part of the landscape/; actually explaining her
                  > Dumbledoreish thought processes - and actions - rather well.

                  I think Luna does have a level of detachment designed to keep herself from getting hurt by others, but not in the way you describe. She is too quick to lose her detachment to defend others for her to be truly detached. For example, the way she angrily defended slurs against her father during her introduction on the Hogwarts Express in OoTP.

                  > Conversely, all this still leads to one sad conclusion: that Luna is,
                  > for all intents and purposes, a broken doll. Her detachment protects her
                  > from the world, but if she lets Harry and/or Hermione in, either of them
                  > might well push her over the brink into insanity... and somehow I think
                  > Luna is aware of that. On the other hand, she's going to NEED them - if
                  > only to anchor her - and I bet she knows that, too.
                  >
                  > ... You can see the conflict poor Luna has to deal with.

                  I do agree that Luna has a fragile/vulnerable side to her, but at the same time she's as courageous as any Gryffindor; vis her joining in the rescue attempt at the ministry and her work in the DA during her sixth year (before being kidnapped), and her efforts during the final battle.

                  I don't think she'd break if she lost H & Hr, but she would probably retreat further into her imagination and be less likely to form new friendships or attachments. I don't think Luna is insane, as she makes a conscious decision as to where to focus her mind. While she can still make that choice for herself I would consider her quite sane.

                  Either way her eccentricity is what makes her character unique in canon.

                  Brian
                • David Meier
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011

                    Yes he was.  He is a Death Eater, he deliberately took every opportunity to sabotage the education of and abuse an innocent child.  He ensured his bigoted, hateful views were passed on to his students and did everything in his power to ensure they did not get punished for their bullying of students from other houses.

                    He is evil, plain and simple.  He's not as evil as Voldemort, Bellatrix, or Dumbledore, but he is still evil.  Also, the only reason he turned against Voldemort was out of spite for him killing Lily.  Had he spared her, Snape would have remained a loyal follower of Voldemort.  He never, not once renounced the views, attitudes and opinions that led him to join him as an adolescent.

                    Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

                    > ToP Luna... yes, you already said it: she's a bit of a Dumbledore.
                    > Whether or not that's something that can be forgiven is open for
                    > interpretation; myself, I think it just underlines her own insecurities
                    > (pushing him away before he can hurt her). That adds a bit of depth to

                    SNIP

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011
                      --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, David Meier <moncappy@...> wrote:

                      <snip>

                      > He is evil, plain and simple. He's not as evil as Voldemort, Bellatrix, or
                      > Dumbledore, but he is still evil. Also, the only reason he turned against
                      > Voldemort was out of spite for him killing Lily. Had he spared her, Snape
                      > would have remained a loyal follower of Voldemort. He never, not once
                      > renounced the views, attitudes and opinions that led him to join him as an
                      > adolescent.

                      That is your opinion, and is NOT fact. You're definitely entitled to your view, and I know I'll never be able to change it, but please try to be less confrontational about stating your views on this forum.

                      I'd rather you used a few extra words like 'in my opinion...' or 'I think...' when making these pronouncements to help avoid threads degenerating into arguments instead of debates.

                      While I've already mentioned I think Snape is a nasty piece of work, I don't agree with some of your statments.

                      Snape had already turned to Dumbledore before Lily was killed. So it could be said that he turned against Voldemort once the Dark Lord planned to go after Harry Potter, because Lily was at risk.

                      Brian
                    • David Meier
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 26, 2011

                        Anyone who would abuse children is evil.  That is the only requirement needed to suffice for that category.  If it makes you feel better, I'll state that is my opinion.  Regardless of when he defected, the only reason he did so was because of Lily and not because he rescinded his views.

                        While I concede it is somewhat admirable for him to want to protect his childhood friend, that desire is totally negated with the reprehensible treatment he showed to her son.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
                          On 03/27/11 06:16, Brian64 wrote:
                          > I don't think she'd break if she lost H & Hr, but she would probably retreat further into her imagination and be less likely to form new friendships or attachments. I don't think Luna is insane, as she makes a conscious decision as to where to focus her mind. While she can still make that choice for herself I would consider her quite sane.
                          She wouldn't break if she lost H+Hr, no; what I meant was more along the
                          lines "if they deliberately hurt her" (or Luna believes they do). If she
                          lost them, you're right; she'd probably withdraw further.

                          No am I saying she's insane. But she is, (and it should maybe be noted
                          this is IMO - just like the rest I'm posting ;o) ) teetering on the
                          brink of losing the already tenuous grasp on reality she has. If that
                          happens...

                          The other points you're raising are very valid. I'll have to look into
                          this a bit more. In the end, however, we're lacking a Luna POV so this
                          is all speculation.

                          Luna IS an interesting character... but I can't help thinking that's not
                          what JKR intended for her at all, instead writing her more as a comic
                          relief character and for some "outsider" to be there for Harry at the
                          end of OOTP. Otherwise, I'd think she'd have done more with Luna - after
                          all, the girl is around since CoS but only pops up in OOTP (IIRC).

                          Probably to avoid Harry and Hermione getting even closer, and then she
                          wrote herself into a corner because she didn't know what to do with that
                          new character she introduced. It's at least a possibility, considering
                          that she's quite unable to juggle even a /few/ of them - one more
                          character would NOT make matters easier.

                          But that's just the cynic in me. ;o)
                        • Alan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 29, 2011
                            --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

                            > As characterizations go, my favorite Luna by far is the one in
                            > Aealkets's /Heart's Home/.

                            Wow!
                            Thank you very much.
                            Alan (Aealket)
                          • Ralph S.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
                              On 3/30/2011 7:07 AM, Alan wrote:

                              > --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> As characterizations go, my favorite Luna by far is the one in
                              >> Aealkets's /Heart's Home/.
                              >>
                              > Wow!
                              > Thank you very much.
                              > Alan (Aealket)
                              Well, credit where credit is due. :o) You seem to have put a lot of
                              thought into each of the characters, and - IMO - you managed to portray
                              Luna as a /person/ rather than a character while /still/ keeping
                              quintessential "Luna" intact.

                              Same for Hermione, by the way. You've captured the girl without
                              exaggerating neither the "good" nor the "bad" personality traits and
                              that is something that just... appeals to me. It makes her seem...
                              human. Less of a caricature, if you know what I mean.

                              Huh... didn't mean to write /that/ much. Let's just say HH is one of my
                              all-time favorites. :o)

                              --
                              "And in the meantime shut up and let's get on with this parade."
                            • Alan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
                                I think Snape can be drawn a lot of ways. It is my personal opinion that the dark mark will 'color' or influence whoever has the mark. Exaggerating the bad and minimizing anything else. We know that Snape was bullied as a student, and I believe he took the mark in a fit of anger and hurt after he and Lily blew up. But I don't remember it ever being mentioned that Snape actually killed someone. (I could be wrong since I didn't enjoy book six and seven and forgot them as quickly as I could.)

                                Alan
                              • Alan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
                                  --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

                                  > Well, credit where credit is due. :o) You seem to have put a lot of
                                  > thought into each of the characters, and - IMO - you managed to portray
                                  > Luna as a /person/ rather than a character while /still/ keeping
                                  > quintessential "Luna" intact.
                                  >
                                  > Same for Hermione, by the way. You've captured the girl without
                                  > exaggerating neither the "good" nor the "bad" personality traits and
                                  > that is something that just... appeals to me. It makes her seem...
                                  > human. Less of a caricature, if you know what I mean.

                                  Wow and thanks yet again.

                                  My understanding of Luna as a character in ToP (as I remember it, it has been a while) is that Luna wants a relationship, but is very unsure of her own worth and won't commit to Harry unless Harry commits to her, meaning that Harry picks Luna over Hermione. Luna wants some assurance that her relationship isn't some fling. Thus the 'contest' with Hermione to give Harry a chance to pull back before Luna pins all of her hopes on one boy. Which I admit is very confusing to Hermione.

                                  So I see Luna as the often used onion. With many layers of defenses and a a person who won't peel back the layers without some tears being shed. (lousy pun I know).

                                  Alan
                                • Kalrany
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
                                    Errr... murder isn't the classifier of evil. A lot of evil people never killed anyone at all.