Magical Animals

  • Font of Useless Trivia
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
      I've started to notice a trend in a lot of newer fics I've seen of late in regards to Luna. It is an irritating trend. It relates to Luna and her animals.

      It seems so many writers right now can't have Luna open her mouth without her talking about a magical animal. Why this has started to irritate me is because it takes an interesting character and puts her on the same level of the Twins. She's just comic relief.

      This irritates me because if a writer sticks with a mostly canon version of Luna, she's got a lot going for her. Fanon has expanded a lot on her and yet she's of late seemingly just this weirdo were everything is related to some fantastic creature.

      This is lazy writing.

      Luna is smart; she wouldn't be in Ravenclaw otherwise.
      Luna is insightful; when everyone was having a go at Harry, she understood what really was going on.
      Luna is empathetic; when Harry was hurting, it was she who knew how to help Harry.
      Luna is powerful and/or lucky; Not everyone in the D.A. could cast a corporeal Patronus and most of them were in Harry's year. Luna did it as well as being the only one who wasn't injured during the fight at the ministry.

      Many fanon stories (the good ones) show her 'obsession' with fantastic creatures is either a way to deal with her mother's death, obliquely impart information in a non-threatening way (think Hermione here) or because she actually sees things others don't.

      It may sound like an odd analogy but Luna is like Batman. How the writer wants to look at the character can create lots of changes. In Batman's case, is he the World's Greatest Detective? Is he the brooding loner? Or is he the opposite when he leads his group or just is paired up like in Batman & Robin or Batman & Superman? Is he the scarred 'boy' who can't get over his parents deaths? Finally, is he the Dark Knight who inspires fear into the criminals of Gotham?

      Think about that for a second. The stories that make Batman interesting as Robin or Superman's partner (in that Odd Couple Way) often conflict with those more Dark Knight stories. However the fact Batman has all these facets is why he's still popular after being created in the late 1930's.

      I see Luna the same way; she is a very complex character. She can be smart, oblique but still be a vulnerable girl grieving over the death of her mother. Does she feel guilty that maybe she might have help cause the death or guilty because she couldn't prevent it. Are those magical animals a defense mechanism. Is she a semi or full Seer? I mean there is a LOT to work with in Luna compared to the stereotypical cardboard cut outs that JKR made out of most the characters.

      In fact, I find in much of fan-fiction, the more JKR fleshed a character out, the more fandom didn't like them! Hermione is the odd exception in that she's either venerated or reviled. Ginny is a close second but I don't count her because really, even by the end of the series, what do we know about Ginny? I feel we know more about Luna than her. Maybe JKR is being prim and proper but all the times Harry spent at the Burrow and he never saw Ginny's bedroom? Not once came down to call her to dinner? Never once be with Ginny as she either wants to show him her room or just fetch something? Yeah right.
    • Brian64
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
        Well I'm alwas glad to see someone defending Luna as being more than a strange creature-obsessed lunatic. :)

        I certainly agree with pretty much eveything you wrote, and I too get a bit annoyed when Luna is painted as a two dimensional cardboard cutout who is only introduced in a fic for comic relief - unless the fic is meant to be a comedic parody of course (such as rorscharch blot's 'Larceny, Lechery and Luna Lovegood'

        I also tend to think there is another trend with writers; and that is the 'mask'. The idea that Luna is only pretending to be as odd as she is as a defence mechanism or to somehow hide behind it. While that doesn't annoy me as much as the other characterisation, I still see it as corrupting her original character as JKR created it.

        Luna's creatures are a part of what makes her Luna, but they aren't the only part. I think to do justice to her character you can't ignore them, write them off as deliberate pretending, or make them the focus of any and nearly all interactions with her.

        The way I read Luna, is that she does tend to focus on her creatures more when there aren't people around that she wants to focus more on, or situations that require more of her attention.

        One of the things I dliked in the movie Half Blood Prince is that when Luna find Harry on the train (instad of Tonks in the book), she does so by seeing the Wrackspurts - which we can clearly see as well! That completely undermines Luna as far as I'm concened. One of the main things about Luna is that you never know for sure whether she is making them up or not. So proving her creatures exist (at least to her) is a bit like proving God exists. It denies the need for faith.

        Anyway, I like discussing Luna, so I'm glad you raised the topic.

        Incidentally, we do get to see Ginny's bedroom - she gives Harry his 17th birthday present in it (a kiss). Sadly, Luna also got knocked out at the Ministry - but was otherwise uninjured. Nev was the only one still standing at the end (although with a broken wand and a broken nose, but still...)

        Cheers,

        Brian
      • Ian Alexander
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
          Incidentally, we do get to see Ginny's bedroom - she gives Harry his 17th birthday present in it (a kiss).

          My point is how long has Harry been going to and staying at the Burrow?  It isn't till he's 17 he finally sees it?

          As for the Wrackspurts being seen, Luna was wearing Spectrespecs at the time.

          When they ask us why we died; tell them it was because our Father's lied.
          Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936) Writer

        • Tommy King
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
            That could easily be a 'Molly' rule, boys not allowed in the girls' room.

            Tommy

            British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
              That would just make Harry want to see it more.  For all Harry is a putz in canon, he IS the son of a Marauder.  Plus, because he's a putz, he wouldn't see it anything more than just going into her room because it is a room.

              Plus Harry had the opportunity back when he was much younger before him being a boy and she a girl would have even been remarked on.  I can't see Ginny not wanting to show Harry her room when she was younger.

              BTW the way, Tommy...what is the British equivalent of Child Protective Services?

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
                I know, but wearing spectrespecs or not, the pint is they are shown to be real - that's what denies the need for faith, and removes the ambiguity.

                Yes, I like how it 'justifies' Luna as not being crazy - after all, if Wrackspurts exist then why not eveything else? But proof removes all of the ambiguity about Luna's character, and that is part of what makes Luna, Luna.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
                  LOL! I'm sorry, but I don't buy the whole 'son of a marauder' plotline at all. Not one bit.

                  1st; Harry wasn't raised by a marauder, so how would his dad or any of the other marauders have influenced him to be one himself? Pranking is hardly a genetic trait to be passed down.

                  2nd; Even if he had a predisposition to pranking, how many attempts do you think he would have made growing up before the Dursleys put a stop to that nonsense? They'd have killed any interest in misbehaviour stone cold dead.

                  3rd; if he had any interest after learning that his dad was a marauder - maybe to try to form some sort of link to him, why didn't he approach the twins for tips or to join them? He didn't, and didn't try any independent pranks on his own - ergo, no marauder gene.

                  As for Ginny inviting him in to her room - it was her fifth year before she could even talk to him without blushing - she couldn't even talk to him about quidditch, let alone get him to visit her bedroom even for a talk.

                  ..just my take on it. :)