Re: Lemons? WTF does that mean.

  • Brian64
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
      Hi Chichi,

      It's possible the author was warning that although the main pairing was male/female, *other* characters were involved in a slash romance.

      For example, in Jeconais' classic fic "This Means War", the main ships are Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, but there is a slight hint of slash (Draco/Terry). Still, since there is nothing more than an implied off-camera kiss to that relationship, a slash warning isn't really needed (IMHO).

      Brian

      --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "chichi" <chi90504@...> wrote:

      > it might not be the correct useage but i've also seen slash used for a male/female paring
    • random_offensive_handle
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 10, 2010
        --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "norgco1" <norgco1@...> wrote:
        > I saw the word Lemon used, from context, as some kind of sexual content warning for the first time yesterday.
        >
        > A quick definition would be helpful.

        While others have given answers -- some closer than others -- here is a definition complete with origin of the term and crossreferences:

        http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Lemon

        If you're unfamiliar with "lemon" as a classification for fics, you may also be unaware of other terms as well. You may want to check these two other pages on the same site:

        http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanFic
        http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanficTropes

        -- roh
      • chichi
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
          i was originally lead to believe that the term lemon came from most of the early erotic fanfics were terribly written and pulling term from buying a bad car it evolved from there to be just fics with explicit sexual content though i have just read

          """
          The term was originally specific to the anime fanfiction community, although in recent years it seems to be spreading to other fandoms as an alternative to just calling something porn. The origin of the term is obscure, but the most common etymology traces it back to the "classic" hentai anime series Cream Lemon, by way of an early mailing list for publishing erotic anime fanfic, called "The Lemon List" in its honor. The term derives from the idea that like a lemon, sexuality looks beautiful and alluring, but when you experience it more directly, it's bitter and sour.
          """

          --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > There are various terms used in fanfiction that seem to have evolved over time. Some of them I know the source for and others I don't.
          >
          > 'Lemon' scenes, as you've worked out, are those that graphically describe sexual scenes. There is a variant refered to as a 'lime', where the scenes are still sexual in nature, but not as descriptive.
          >
          > While we're on the subject, here are some related terms and info that you may or not already be familiar with:
          >
          > 'PWP' - "plot, what plot?" (or "porn without plot") to describe a gratuitous lemon scene either as a one-shot/short story or where the scene is unrelated to the main fic.
          >
          > 'Slash' (or 'yaoi' depending on fandom) refers to a boy/boy romance, but like any other romance it does not have to include lemons or limes.
          >
          > 'Femslash' (or 'yuri') refers to a girl/girl romance.
          >
          > 'Ships' and 'shipping' refers to the romantic relationships in the story. You will usually find them described in the story summary often with abbreviations like "Harry/Luna" or simply "H/L". Hermione is abbreviated to "hr" as in "h/hr" or you may find initials used where there might be confusion, as in "HP/HG, NL/HA, RW/LB".
          >
          > "H/HR/L" would refer to a threesome relationship, while "H/HR, H/L" might indicate the relationship changes during the fic. It might also establish that the threesome doesn't include 'Hr/L' as part of the threesome. You may see 'OFC' or "OMC' in the shipping lists, and this refers to Original Female (or Male) Character that the author has created and included. Original characters may or may not be a "Self-Insert" (SI), where the character is essentially a representation of the author.
          >
          > The other term you may read about when talking about fanfics is "Mary-Sue". This refers to the characterisation of a female (either existing or OFC) that lacks any flaws. The male equivalent is generally a "Gary-Stu", though I've also seen "Marty-Stu".
          >
          > Hope that helps.
          >
          > Brian
          >

          > --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "norgco1" <norgco1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I saw the word Lemon used, from context, as some kind of sexual content warning for the first time yesterday.
          > >
          > > A quick definition would be helpful.

        • Ian Alexander
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010
            I would think it is actually a pretty decent term since let's face it, people are either writing porn with a 'skin' of whatever book/show/etc. they are using or writing fan-fiction that happens to have sex in it (like I do) but can hardly be called erotica which I tend to see the sex/sensuality is the driving force of the plot or major theme instead of just being an adjunct to it.  I mean my story "HP and the Rejected Path" has sex scenes in it (I'm writing one now...or should be instead of doing this) but the sex isn't the focus of the story.

            I feel even if people call it "lemon" if you can change the names in the story and not really affect it (Hermione to Buffy, Ron to Xander for example) and the story isn't affected that much, it's just porn.

            When they ask us why we died; tell them it was because our Father's lied.
            Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936) Writer

> [...]

            > The other term you may read about when talking about fanfics is "Mary-Sue". This refers to the characterisation of a female (either existing or OFC) that lacks any flaws. The male equivalent is generally a "Gary-Stu", though I've also seen "Marty-Stu".
            >
            > Hope that helps.
            >
            > Brian
            >

            > --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "norgco1" <norgco1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I saw the word Lemon used, from context, as some kind of sexual content warning for the first time yesterday.

          • James Carter
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010

              I mean my story "HP and the Rejected Path" has sex scenes in it (I'm writing one now...or should be instead of doing this) but the sex isn't the focus of the story.

              I feel even if people call it "lemon" if you can change the names in the story and not really affect it (Hermione to Buffy, Ron to Xander for example) and the story isn't affected that much, it's just porn.

              -Ian Alexander

              - - -

              So you're zArkham?

              Nice for a name to go with the...name.

              Was that a slip up for an upcoming sex scene with Hermione and Ron?

              ~NuitTombee

              He's an obese one-eyed rock star who must take medication to keep him sane. She's a scantily clad wisecracking socialite with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!

              Check out NuitTombee on deviantART.

              "...grinning like a necrophiliac in a morgue." ~The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

            • Ian Alexander
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010
                Oh no...the only time I will ever write any RW/HG is when there are potions involved.

                Honestly, I know HG had some issues but most of my friends have always been women and none would go out with a guy who can't chew with his mouth closed.  Plus while supposedly opposites attract, Hermione never got a lot of positive reinforcement from the kids in school so I highly doubt she'd be attracted to Ron who does the exact same thing.  I mean it was his comments (so like those of the kids in her primary school) that almost got her killed in her first year.  Add this to the fact that Ron wouldn't have come if Harry hadn't dragged him there is another nail in his coffin.

                Personally I would think Hermione would end up with someone like Justin Finch-Fletchley or Anthony Goldstein.  Actually I would also expect her to not get serious because I really can't see her just leaving school at 17.  I would expect her to get her regular school work up to speed and then go to university.  She has the time considering how long magical folks live.

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010

[...]

                  O' thank the lord, I didn't want to offend you in case you liked that pairing.

                  None of the women I know would put up with that either.

                  Personally I prefer her getting with either Harry or another girl.