Re: [Thoughts_of_Pudding] Lemons? WTF does that mean.

  • bulldogmo
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 28, 2010
      usually some form of sex scene warning that is now being used for things like HP stories............  I think it is a warning for underage kids having sex together, but the only time I have seen it has to do with sex or deleted sex scenes....

      bulldogmo

      On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM, norgco1 <norgco1@...> wrote:

      I saw the word Lemon used, from context, as some kind of sexual content warning for the first time yesterday.

      I have absolutely no fracking clue what I am being warned of or being warned not to do.

      None

      zip

      nada

      zilch

      A quick definition would be helpful.

    • James Carter
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 28, 2010
        Usually used to indicate Sexual Explicit Content.

        ~NuitTombee

        Check out NuitTombee on deviantART.

        "...grinning like a necrophiliac in a morgue." ~The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

        To: Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 28, 2010
          If the other wasn't direct enough it means theres sex in the story.

          To: Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 28, 2010
            Hi there,

            There are various terms used in fanfiction that seem to have evolved over time. Some of them I know the source for and others I don't.

            'Lemon' scenes, as you've worked out, are those that graphically describe sexual scenes. There is a variant refered to as a 'lime', where the scenes are still sexual in nature, but not as descriptive.

            While we're on the subject, here are some related terms and info that you may or not already be familiar with:

            'PWP' - "plot, what plot?" (or "porn without plot") to describe a gratuitous lemon scene either as a one-shot/short story or where the scene is unrelated to the main fic.

            'Slash' (or 'yaoi' depending on fandom) refers to a boy/boy romance, but like any other romance it does not have to include lemons or limes.

            'Femslash' (or 'yuri') refers to a girl/girl romance.

            'Ships' and 'shipping' refers to the romantic relationships in the story. You will usually find them described in the story summary often with abbreviations like "Harry/Luna" or simply "H/L". Hermione is abbreviated to "hr" as in "h/hr" or you may find initials used where there might be confusion, as in "HP/HG, NL/HA, RW/LB".

            "H/HR/L" would refer to a threesome relationship, while "H/HR, H/L" might indicate the relationship changes during the fic. It might also establish that the threesome doesn't include 'Hr/L' as part of the threesome. You may see 'OFC' or "OMC' in the shipping lists, and this refers to Original Female (or Male) Character that the author has created and included. Original characters may or may not be a "Self-Insert" (SI), where the character is essentially a representation of the author.

            The other term you may read about when talking about fanfics is "Mary-Sue". This refers to the characterisation of a female (either existing or OFC) that lacks any flaws. The male equivalent is generally a "Gary-Stu", though I've also seen "Marty-Stu".

            Hope that helps.

            Brian

            --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "norgco1" <norgco1@...> wrote:

            > I saw the word Lemon used, from context, as some kind of sexual content warning for the first time yesterday.
            >
            > A quick definition would be helpful.

          • chichi
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
              a lemon is a fanfiction with graphic sexual scenes

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
                it might not be the correct useage but i've also seen slash used for a male/female paring

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
                  That just means that someone else does not or did not know what slash meant either.

                  To: Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com
                  From: chi90504@...
                  Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:49:03 +0000
                  Subject: [Thoughts_of_Pudding] Re: Lemons? WTF does that mean.

                  it might not be the correct useage but i've also seen slash used for a male/female paring

                • Ralph S.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
                    On the old trekkie boards, slash was defined as follows:

                    - Romantic pairing between same-sex characters. Not to be confused with
                    '&' pairings which indicate friendship; K&S has Kirk and Spock explore
                    outer space together while K/S has them exploring each other.
                    - Unlikely pairing. Most notably that means the original characters
                    displayed an interest in each other, it's not slash. These days, this is
                    somewhat perverted to also include pairings that would never work
                    (regardless of gender).
                    - If the original characters were homosexual in the first place, any
                    romance(or smut) fic pairing them together is a simple romance and/or
                    smutfic - but not slash.

                    On 9/29/2010 6:16 PM, James Carter wrote:

                    > That just means that someone else does not or did not know what slash
                    > meant either.
                    >
                    > ~NuitTombee

                    > To: Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: chi90504@...
                    > Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:49:03 +0000
                    > Subject: [Thoughts_of_Pudding] Re: Lemons? WTF does that mean.
                    >
                    > it might not be the correct useage but i've also seen slash used for a
                    > male/female paring

                  • Brian64
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
                      Hi Chichi,

                      It's possible the author was warning that although the main pairing was male/female, *other* characters were involved in a slash romance.

                      For example, in Jeconais' classic fic "This Means War", the main ships are Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, but there is a slight hint of slash (Draco/Terry). Still, since there is nothing more than an implied off-camera kiss to that relationship, a slash warning isn't really needed (IMHO).

                      Brian

                      --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "chichi" <chi90504@...> wrote:

                      > it might not be the correct useage but i've also seen slash used for a male/female paring
                    • random_offensive_handle
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 10, 2010
                        --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "norgco1" <norgco1@...> wrote:
                        > I saw the word Lemon used, from context, as some kind of sexual content warning for the first time yesterday.
                        >
                        > A quick definition would be helpful.

                        While others have given answers -- some closer than others -- here is a definition complete with origin of the term and crossreferences:

                        http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Lemon

                        If you're unfamiliar with "lemon" as a classification for fics, you may also be unaware of other terms as well. You may want to check these two other pages on the same site:

                        http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanFic
                        http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanficTropes

                        -- roh
                      • chichi
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 28, 2010
                          i was originally lead to believe that the term lemon came from most of the early erotic fanfics were terribly written and pulling term from buying a bad car it evolved from there to be just fics with explicit sexual content though i have just read

                          """
                          The term was originally specific to the anime fanfiction community, although in recent years it seems to be spreading to other fandoms as an alternative to just calling something porn. The origin of the term is obscure, but the most common etymology traces it back to the "classic" hentai anime series Cream Lemon, by way of an early mailing list for publishing erotic anime fanfic, called "The Lemon List" in its honor. The term derives from the idea that like a lemon, sexuality looks beautiful and alluring, but when you experience it more directly, it's bitter and sour.
                          """

                          --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

                          > Hi there,
                          >
                          > There are various terms used in fanfiction that seem to have evolved over time. Some of them I know the source for and others I don't.
                          >
                          > 'Lemon' scenes, as you've worked out, are those that graphically describe sexual scenes. There is a variant refered to as a 'lime', where the scenes are still sexual in nature, but not as descriptive.
                          >
                          > While we're on the subject, here are some related terms and info that you may or not already be familiar with:
                          >
                          > 'PWP' - "plot, what plot?" (or "porn without plot") to describe a gratuitous lemon scene either as a one-shot/short story or where the scene is unrelated to the main fic.
                          >
                          > 'Slash' (or 'yaoi' depending on fandom) refers to a boy/boy romance, but like any other romance it does not have to include lemons or limes.
                          >
                          > 'Femslash' (or 'yuri') refers to a girl/girl romance.
                          >
                          > 'Ships' and 'shipping' refers to the romantic relationships in the story. You will usually find them described in the story summary often with abbreviations like "Harry/Luna" or simply "H/L". Hermione is abbreviated to "hr" as in "h/hr" or you may find initials used where there might be confusion, as in "HP/HG, NL/HA, RW/LB".
                          >
                          > "H/HR/L" would refer to a threesome relationship, while "H/HR, H/L" might indicate the relationship changes during the fic. It might also establish that the threesome doesn't include 'Hr/L' as part of the threesome. You may see 'OFC' or "OMC' in the shipping lists, and this refers to Original Female (or Male) Character that the author has created and included. Original characters may or may not be a "Self-Insert" (SI), where the character is essentially a representation of the author.
                          >
                          > The other term you may read about when talking about fanfics is "Mary-Sue". This refers to the characterisation of a female (either existing or OFC) that lacks any flaws. The male equivalent is generally a "Gary-Stu", though I've also seen "Marty-Stu".
                          >
                          > Hope that helps.
                          >
                          > Brian
                          >

                          > --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "norgco1" <norgco1@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I saw the word Lemon used, from context, as some kind of sexual content warning for the first time yesterday.
                          > >
                          > > A quick definition would be helpful.

                        • Ian Alexander
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010
                            I would think it is actually a pretty decent term since let's face it, people are either writing porn with a 'skin' of whatever book/show/etc. they are using or writing fan-fiction that happens to have sex in it (like I do) but can hardly be called erotica which I tend to see the sex/sensuality is the driving force of the plot or major theme instead of just being an adjunct to it.  I mean my story "HP and the Rejected Path" has sex scenes in it (I'm writing one now...or should be instead of doing this) but the sex isn't the focus of the story.

                            I feel even if people call it "lemon" if you can change the names in the story and not really affect it (Hermione to Buffy, Ron to Xander for example) and the story isn't affected that much, it's just porn.

                            When they ask us why we died; tell them it was because our Father's lied.
                            Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936) Writer

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010

                              I mean my story "HP and the Rejected Path" has sex scenes in it (I'm writing one now...or should be instead of doing this) but the sex isn't the focus of the story.

                              I feel even if people call it "lemon" if you can change the names in the story and not really affect it (Hermione to Buffy, Ron to Xander for example) and the story isn't affected that much, it's just porn.

                              -Ian Alexander

                              - - -

                              So you're zArkham?

                              Nice for a name to go with the...name.

                              Was that a slip up for an upcoming sex scene with Hermione and Ron?

                              ~NuitTombee

                              He's an obese one-eyed rock star who must take medication to keep him sane. She's a scantily clad wisecracking socialite with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010
                                Oh no...the only time I will ever write any RW/HG is when there are potions involved.

                                Honestly, I know HG had some issues but most of my friends have always been women and none would go out with a guy who can't chew with his mouth closed.  Plus while supposedly opposites attract, Hermione never got a lot of positive reinforcement from the kids in school so I highly doubt she'd be attracted to Ron who does the exact same thing.  I mean it was his comments (so like those of the kids in her primary school) that almost got her killed in her first year.  Add this to the fact that Ron wouldn't have come if Harry hadn't dragged him there is another nail in his coffin.

                                Personally I would think Hermione would end up with someone like Justin Finch-Fletchley or Anthony Goldstein.  Actually I would also expect her to not get serious because I really can't see her just leaving school at 17.  I would expect her to get her regular school work up to speed and then go to university.  She has the time considering how long magical folks live.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 29, 2010

[...]

                                  O' thank the lord, I didn't want to offend you in case you liked that pairing.

                                  None of the women I know would put up with that either.

                                  Personally I prefer her getting with either Harry or another girl.