Something that I wrote, but don't intend to post

  • Prongs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
      After reading/listening to Corwalch's "Do Not Meddle", I just got bit by a different scenario.  So, let me know what ya'all think.  Also, I want to give my reason for this.  I'm considering "adopting" an abandoned fic, but my experience with "adopting" Changes from Jeconais has proven problematic at best, so I'm curious how you guys feel about this, and if anyone can get it to Corwalch (my connection is spotty and FFN won't load or I'd write from there), I'd appreciate input from the source, as it were.

      Prongs of Potter Heads Anonymous
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      As Harry was led from the school, the words still ringing in his ears, he saw the whole of Gryffindor, all years, gathered around a large pile of items on the lawn of the school.  Barely an hour previous, Aurors Shackelbolt and Tonks had arrived and announced that Harry was being charged with the murder of Neville Longbottom, as was apparently witnessed by none other than Percy Weasley.  Harry had protested his innocence, and the fact that he was now past his 17th birthday, coupled with his less than six month old defeat of Voldemort, at least worked in his favor to guarantee he would be tried using Veritaserum, unlike Sirius in 1981, or Hagrid during his second year.  Walking slowly, Harry realized that everything he owned was now piled on the lawn of the school, and as he watched, with Ginny holding the Marauders’ map and his cloak, Ron holding his broom and Hermione holding his photo album, the others raised their wands and set fire to everything he owned save the four items.

      “Traitor!  How could you kill Neville?”  Seamus shouted.  “Afraid he’ll stop you trying to take you-know-who’s place?”

      “How could you?  After all we’ve done for you?”  Ron sneered, before tossing the Firebolt into the fire, followed by his cloak and the map while Ginny just laughed, before the two red-heads turned to Hermione, who tossed the photo album into the fire.

      “Aurors, may I say something to the crowd?”  Harry asked in a flat voice.

      “You may, but,” Shackelbolt began, “any attempts to incite a riot or worse will be very bad, let alone any attempts to escape.”
      “Trust me,” Harry said, sighing, “I won’t be the reason they riot more than they are now, and I won’t need to escape, as my trial will show me innocent.”  Shackelbolt nodded that the instructions he was required to give had been understood, then moved aside and called for silence.  “Students of Gryffindor House.”  Harry said in a clear, loud voice.  “Know this and understand, you have betrayed one of your own today before any semblance of a trial could even be thought of.  You have destroyed the last items I had from my parents and godfather, two of which can never be replaced.  The album,” Harry stared at Hermione, “carried the only images I had of my parents, the same people I fought Voldemort to avenge, yet you believe me capable of murder only six months after his fall.  Know this,” Harry stood tall and proud as he continued, “I, Harry James Lord Potter, heir and scion of House Potter, hereby disavow any ties House Potter may have had with any of you.  I swear off all vestiges of Gryffindor House, and hereby invoke the act of severance with each of you.  Any attempt by you to contact me in any way will result in penalties I doubt any but Granger,” Hermione winced at how like Malfoy he sounded, “have ever heard of.  Look them up between now and my trial, and when I am proven innocent, know that your own actions have forever taken the friendship I freely gave for over six years.”  Harry turned his back on the school, hearing Hermione and Ginny sobbing at the realization of their actions, while Ron was asking everyone what just happened, then looked at the aurors.  “I’m ready now, thank you for that.”

      Harry was taken, with very little fanfare, to the DMLE offices where his wand was officially entered into evidence, though the sheer volume of magic cast in only one class had negated the priori incantatem proof that he had not cast the killing curse, proof in Percy’s mind that he was guilty and had tried to hide that fact.  Amelia, acting on policy, and in direct opposition to Fudge’s desire for a media frenzy, apparently, ordered the pompous aid out of the office, then continued, asking Harry to change, behind obscuring charms, into a plain brown robe, assuring him that his wand and robes would be held in evidence, only to be destroyed if he was convicted, then escorted him to a holding cell to await trial, something that was only 48 hours away, thankfully.

      “The trial of Harry James Potter, on the charges of the murder of Neville Ambrose Longbottom, and practicing dark magic with the intent to ascend to the level of dark lord, is now in session.  All having business,” Percy glanced around the room, seeing Harry and his solicitor, Umbridge and the Ministry prosecutor, and the panel of judges in place, “stand and be heard.  The accused will stand.”  Harry and his solicitor stood.  “How do you plead to the charges as announced?”

      “Not guilty on all counts!”  Harry said firmly, inwardly sighing as he heard Molly Weasley’s shrill voice denouncing him as demon spawn for having the gall to lie even now.

      “The plea is entered,” Percy said, “the accused shall now, as was requested by counsel, be given Veritaserum, questioned only regarding the charges listed, and judged!”  Percy sat as Harry accepted the potion willingly, before the prosecutor rose.

      “Why did you kill Neville Longbottom?”  The man asked.

      “I did not kill him.”  Harry replied.

      “Yet the evidence shows you to be guilty.”  The man said, then went on.  “Very well, on the night in question, where were you between the hours of 5 PM and 8 PM?”

      “From 5PM to 7PM I was in the library studying for my potions exam the next day, after which,” Harry went on, “I went to get my broom from the locker room so I could work on it in the dorms, therefore not missing curfew, and returned to my dorm at 7:45 PM or there about.”

      “Were there any witnesses to your claims?”  The man asked, sneering as if he had just won the case.

      “Mr. Throckmort!”  Amelia Bones snapped.  “The accused is under the effect of Veritaserum, and as it has been proven that no one can lie under this potion, no witnesses are needed.”

      “Very well,” the man grumbled, “no further questions.”

      “Mr. Potter,” Simon Firth, his solicitor began, “was it ever your goal to replace Tom Riddle, also known as Lord Voldemort,” he paused for the gasps, “as a dark lord?”

      “No,” Harry said, “quite the opposite, as I had once wished to become an auror.”

      “Once?”  The man went on.

      “I no longer have any desire to work for a body corrupt enough to arrest a man on the charges I was on the word of one man, who,” he seemed to almost paused, “admitted he did not see me, but claimed only to have heard the curse cast and believed the voice to be mine.”

      “Preposterous!”  Percy shouted.  “I know your voice and you have an invisibility cloak, so it’s no stretch that you used it to escape.”

      “Weasley!”  Bones snapped again.  “Again, Veritaserum is in use, and so far the charges will be dropped unless you can prove without doubt that Potter is the first wizard in over 1500 years to beat it’s effects.”  Percy flinched, then sat.

      “Very well,” Firth said, “no further questions.”  Harry was administered the antidote, but before he could move, Bones spoke again.

      “Lord Potter,” she began, “you are hereby cleared of all charges, and should you desire, you may bring charges of slander against your accuser.”

      “Thank you Ma’am,” Harry said, “I believe I would like to do that, as Messer Weasley seems to have a grudge, and that trial would allow me to enact the same act of severance as I did against the current Gryffindor students against him.”

      “Why would you enact that?”  Bones gasped.

      “Simple,” Harry said, almost smirking as he heard multiple people sobbing now, “when only told of the charges, and having not even been questioned as to the veracity, they took it upon themselves to destroy all of my possessions, including four items which were extremely sentimental, a gift from my dead godfather, a cloak which was a family heirloom,” Harry looked to Percy, “and you’ll be happy to know that your sister had that cloak for some reason, and laughed as she threw it into the fire, a charms masterpiece my father worked on, and a photo album containing the only photos in existence of my parents.  They seem to wish me gone from their lives, so I simply ensured it would happen and stay that way, as well as applying to the three professors who did nothing to stop them, and the Headmaster.”

      “Who were the three?”  Bones asked.  “As they will be hearing from the board of governors.”

      “Snape, McGonagall and Sprout.”  Harry said, shrugging.  “Makes no difference, I’m of age, and will never return to that school of my own free will.”

      The response to the trial was far greater than Harry could have imagined, as well as the information gained from the trial of Percy Weasley.  Percy, for some reason, had charged Harry as he had only on the word of Dolores Umbridge, neither of whom were at the scene until well after Harry’s arrest.  When questioned under Veritaserum, Umbridge revealed that she had ordered Neville’s death for his part in Voldemort’s defeat, and when Malfoy had finished, she had tried to frame Harry.  Percy, for his part, was merely fired, though Umbridge and Malfoy were sentenced to life and the kiss respectively, for their crimes.

      Over the years Harry would get information from various other students, mostly Luna and the twins, who broke ties with their family after the incidents surrounding Harry’s trial, letting them know that everyone seemed to have changed.  Hermione left school without taking the N.E.W.T. exams, only to marry Ron before dying just before their first child was born.  Ginny, apparently, decided that Harry wasn’t serious, and had been attempting to contact him, only to lose her magic when she began stalking him, something Harry had suspected, but never been able to prove.  Finally, almost thirty years later, Harry acquiessed and visited Dumbledore at St. Mungo’s when he heard the  former headmaster was dying, fast.

      “Harry, my boy,” Dumbledore wheezed, “I knew, you would, forgive, us.”

      “No,” Harry said, “headmaster, I have not forgiven, I merely felt denying a dying wish was far more wrong than even I would stoop.”

      “But, you must,” Dumbledore began, before coughing violently, “you cannot, allow, your anger, to consume you.”

      “Oh, it hasn’t,” Harry said, grinning, “I’m quite happy with my life.  I met a wonderful young woman in Chicago, just after my N.E.W.T.’s at Salem, and we’re expecting our fifth child this fall.  Know this,” Harry sighed, “you did this.  You allowed the wizarding world to become to complacent that anything the Ministry said was seen as truth, yet when proven wrong, it’s almost seen as a trait of a dark lord not to just forgive, forget, and wait to be attacked again.  I only hope,” he sighed again, “that my parents aren’t too rough on you, if you go to the same place.”  Dumbledore wheezed again, trying to protest, but soon passed into sleep, only to die peacefully three days later.

      “James?  Lily?  Sirius?  Remus?”  Dumbledore asked, confused.

      “Yes Albus,” James said, “we’re not here to greet you, but to ensure you do not go into the door we did.  Your actions have proven you did not learn in life,” he sighed, “and as you cannot move on without learning what we all must, you must go through that door.”

      “What is through that door?”  He asked warily.

      “We don’t know for sure,” Sirius said, “but from what we’ve been able to find out, you will live the same life Harry did between arriving at the Dursley’s and entering Hogwarts, then his life after Riddle’s defeat.”

      “No.”  Dumbledore whispered.  “Surely, it cannot have been so bad as to be an eternal punishment?”

      “Eternal?”  Lily said, shaking her head.  “Only if you still cannot learn, and only you can determine that.”

      Albus woke moments later to a pounding on the door next to his head.  Within seconds he was pulled from the small cupboard by a large man, hit in the stomach, and forced to cook for three people.  Wincing in pain, Albus began to catalog his life, never seeing the five beings behind him.

      “Will he learn?”  Remus asked the newcomer.

      “Only he can determine that,” death said, “and from my experience, everyone does, how long it takes?”  Death shrugged, before turning to leave, escorting the other four back to their own eternity to await the one left before they would truly be happy again, no matter that another 200 years would pass before that happened.
    • third_realm_guardian
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
        Hidy hidy,

        For what it was, it was good, but I'm an avid, nay, I'm a fanatical Harry/Hermione (or Harry/Hermione/Luna or Harry/Hermione/Harem) shipper. No matter what, Hermione MUST be with Harry in my eyes for me to bother with a story. I only finished this to the end because it was short.

        Though I must say I rather loathe you for doing that with Hermione...

        For what it was, though, I enjoyed it. I would have liked some kind of reason for Hermione turning on Harry, and why Ron and Ginny wouldn't have simply kept the cloak and Firebolt for their own uses, which I fully suspect Ron, at least, would do since we know he stole a Fanged Frisbee if nothing else during his fifth year as Prefect. And he said in first year he'd "do anything for a cloak like that".

        Still, the vindictive side of me was happy to see that Hermione failed to take her NEWT's and died so early in her life for what she did and that Ginny lost her magic. I'd have liked to have known what had happened to Harry, too.

        Paladeus / Kevin
      • third_realm_guardian
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
          Hidy hidy,

          Ah, PS. I may be forced to write a variation on this with a Harry/Hermione/Luna happy ending >.> I dislike angst and non-H/Hr stuff and I fear this may stick in my head.

          Blegh.

          Paladeus / Kevin

          You're evil. I just want you to know that (and that was a PPS, sorry, forgot that.)
        • dougde
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
            You seem to have a grudge against the so called friends of Harry especially Ron & Hermione. Yet you post this on several groups that are Hermione fans. Notice I agree on Ron's flaws in character.

            Still not a bad story yet I can see why your not posting this on FFN.

            --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, Prongs <prongs@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > to be an eternal punishment?"
            >
            > "Eternal?" Lily said, shaking her head. "Only if you still cannot
            > learn, and only you can determine that."
            >
            > Albus woke moments later to a pounding on the door next to his head.
            > Within seconds he was pulled from the small cupboard by a large man,
            > hit in the stomach, and forced to cook for three people. Wincing in
            > pain, Albus began to catalog his life, never seeing the five beings
            > behind him.
            >
            > "Will he learn?" Remus asked the newcomer.
            >
            > "Only he can determine that," death said, "and from my experience,
            > everyone does, how long it takes?" Death shrugged, before turning to
            > leave, escorting the other four back to their own eternity to await
            > the one left before they would truly be happy again, no matter that
            > another 200 years would pass before that happened.

          • Brian
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
              --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, Prongs <prongs@...> wrote:

              > After reading/listening to Corwalch's "Do Not Meddle", I just got
              > bit by a different scenario. So, let me know what ya'all think.

              Okay, what I think is that I didn't like the whole 'all Harry's friends turn on him and burn his stuff' cliche. The first time I read that plot line I thought 'what a crock', and it's never got any better since then.

              I'm afraid that if you're starting from a flawed foundation, it's really hard to build anything worthwhile from it. I read through hoping to find something original, or some new plot twist but I'm afraid I just found it tired and depressing.

              I thought of the same question as dougde; why would you post this on so many Harmony friendly groups?

              You're more than welcome to post here Prongs, but please don't include this group in any mass postings to yahoo groups in future. It's too much like spam when I see the same message pop up on every group I visit.

              Brian
            • Prongs