Thoughts of Pudding Announcement: Audio files updated on Pudding_Audio1

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2009
      Announcement:

      On that group you will find all of the text to speech audio chapters up to and including Chapter 21 of Thoughts of Pudding.

      This includes the revised/edited chapters 1 to 6, and the partly revised chapter 7. As future chapters are revised by my new beta, I will upload them, and the file description will show them as v2. For those not already aware, the doc versions of these revised chapters are only found on this group. This is because I won't update fanfiction.net or ficwad (etc) until after all of the chapters have been edited. The reason is that I think it would be frustrating to my readers for them to receive a 'story updated' email, only for them to find it was due to some edits, not a new chapter.

      Please note that Yahoo has a 5mb file size limit. this means that some of the larger chapters had to be split over two files. Just be sure to download both parts before trying to extract the mp3 file from the zip archive and you should be fine. Use Winzip if you have any problems.

      Since each group only allows a 100mb file base and I'm at 93% capacity on Pudding_Audio1, there really isn't enough space to upload chapter 22 to that group. I expect I will create 'Pudding_Audio2' in due course and upload it there, but I may hold off until I either have more chapters, or until after it has been revised.

      In the meantime, as I have plenty of space to upload chapter 22 to this group, I'll upload it here shortly. I also have the first two chapters here for you to try out so you don't have to join the other group just to see what it sounds like. For those that initially don't like it, I will say that it doesn't take long at all to get used to it, and with the pronunciation editor, you can usually correct any mispronounced words as you find them.

      Please do continue to use this main Thoughts of Pudding group for any discussion of the story. The Pudding_Audio1 group is purely for storing the text to speech audio chapters.

      For those interested in knowing more.. The audio files were created using TextAloudMP3 which is available from www.nextup.com. The voice used is AT&T's Mike16, which is also available as a bundle with a great female voice called Crystal. You can also get a discount on the price of TA if you buy the bundle and TA at the same time. Imagine creating as many audiobooks as you want from your favourite fanfics... I've got over a hundred so far without really trying. :)

      Cheers,

      Brian
    • third_realm_guardian
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2009
        Hidy hidy,

        When it comes to space, you could always create an account on a free web-hosting server. Upload the audio files and then create direct links from the Yahoo Group. This saves you lots of space. Just keep back-ups of everything in case they shut you down and check perhaps once a month to be sure everything is up and running.

        You can use Angelfire.com, GeoCities.com (also a Yahoo-based provider,) or several others. I'm only familiar with those two, so I don't know any others off hand to list x.x

        Adieu,

        Kevin