I just remembered why I rarely sign in to Yahoo Messenger

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
      So... I signed back in to Yahoo Messenger this weekend, and removed
      about 20 missed spam messages. No probs, I kinda expected to get
      some.

      Anyway, tonight I get a "hello' from someone I've never heard of. So
      I send a "Hi" back, along with a 'where did you get my yahoo address
      from?'

      So after this guy starts chatting a bit, it sounds like he found me
      from one of the fanfic sites, then he asks if I would write a short
      Hermione story for him..

      Ok, get this, he wants the 16yo Hermione paired with a 12yo. After
      explaining that, nope, I can't imagine an already mature minded
      Hermione pairing up with a 12yo, and wishing him luck, he calls me
      an asshole. So I reported him as spam.

      Have I ever mentioned how much I hate perverts and spammers? (Or
      worse, perverted spammers?

      Well, that was my excitement for the evening. I think I'll just go
      check that 'crawfordjeremy702000' hasn't snuck onto the member
      list..

      Cheers,

      Brian
    • third_realm_guardian
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hidy hidy,

        *Raises hand slowly* Er, I didn't start out this way, but I'm a
        pervert. Well, I'm getting to become one, anyway. Apparently,
        reading fics with naughties in it lowers my resistance. o.O' It's
        actually probably that and writing a story with sex in it. I may have
        to rethink that bit.

        But, I can see it being okay, assuming it was a time-travel fic where
        she was in a younger form. If it was 16 year old bodies with twelve
        year old bodies, then I would agree. There's something wrong there.
        At least assuming the sixteen year old isn't waiting around for them
        to ... mature ...

        It's also bad form to request something without a person offering a
        disclaimer or note somewhere that says you're taking requests to write
        stories. I mean, I wouldn't go up to Chem Prof, WitowsMP, Perfect
        Lionheart and others that I like asking them to write something for
        me. It's sad and pathetic. Write the thing yourself. Then you get
        exactly what you want. Can't write? Wrong. Everyone can write.
        It's just a matter of taking the time and going back to fix what
        you've done wrong if you don't like it.

        And calling you 'asshole' for disagreeing with his views or for
        declining the uninvited request is just wrong. It's like he's asking
        you for sex (which is what it actually sounds like is the case, albeit
        not as that would normally be taken) and he didn't want to take no for
        an answer. He's a serial fictionist!

        Apparently, there is no way to tie that to what was, I hope, subtly
        hinted at and it still be funny, so I had to go for the lame line.
        Being naturally unfunny has its drawbacks. o.o

        Besides, anyone who honestly likes your work won't want you to start
        another fic while you're working on others anyway. They'd want you to
        use whatever time you had for your life and what you've begun.

        Unless maybe it was a one-shot. I suppose that could be done.

        If this sounds like rambling, it's because I'm sleepy and, reading it
        over, it doesn't sound bad. If it is, sorry. If not, then *waves
        hands around* this paragraph isn't really here... *Runs while you're
        discombobulated*

        Kevin,
        Paladeus

        ~A retarded spider monkey. Not just Ronald Weasley, but a way of life.
      • Red Jacobson
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
          Just out of curiousity, was this clown named Jeremy Crawford?  If so, you aren't the only person he's hit, in fact, there used to be a LJ Community about him!   He used to bug me to write a fem/slash story between Joyce Summers and one of the young girls on the show, I don't remember who.  I'm not sure if he's just a troll, or has other problems.

          red

          On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:51 AM, Brian <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

[...]

          Somewhere in the world, two aardvarks are humping
        • Vern Trumbly
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
            On 3/1/09, Brian <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

[...]

            .

            Aside from the fact that I find it very distracting, that is one of the reasons I don't sign in to YIM very often. I've been lucky, I guess, in that not too many have come hunting for me like that. However, I have certainly gotten some interestin' emails and pm's  ffn asking for some really off the wall things. Kind of amazing, really.

            I make no bones about the fact I'm a pervy ol' bugger, but that is just part of my charm, way I see it. Oddly though, with as much lemon as I have written, I find in more difficult to do so these days... mostly... the odd scene pops in my head now and then, and one or two of my pervier stories could see daylight again. One never knows.

            Vern, aka Herman Tumbleweed
            The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - Albert Einstein
          • Tommy King
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
              This guy is notorious he crops up every now under various aliases demanding that people write stories for him and then becoming abusive when they don't. This is the first time I have heard him mentioned for a while, everyone should watch out for him.

              Tommy

              British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, Red Jacobson
                <red.jacobson@...> wrote:

                > Just out of curiousity, was this clown named Jeremy Crawford? If
                > so, you aren't the only person he's hit, in fact, there used to be
                > a LJ Community about him! He used to bug me to write a fem/slash
                > story between Joyce Summers and one of the young girls on the
                > show, I don't remember who. I'm not sure if he's just a troll, or
                > has other problems.

                Sounds like our guy based on the yahoo username used. He asked if I
                wrote in one of three fandoms - one was Spiderman, another HP.. I'd
                have to check the archived conversation to find the 3rd.

                Ugh. Just googled jeremy crawford fanfic. found the journal at
                http://community.livejournal.com/jeremycrawford

                That's one sick cookie.

                Cheers,

                Brian
              • Vern Trumbly
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                  On 3/1/09, Brian <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

                  Sounds like our guy based on the yahoo username used. He asked if I
                  wrote in one of three fandoms - one was Spiderman, another HP.. I'd
                  have to check the archived conversation to find the 3rd.

                  Ugh. Just googled jeremy crawford fanfic. found the journal at
                  http://community.livejournal.com/jeremycrawford

                  That's one sick cookie.

                  Cheers,

                  Brian

                  I'm a rather suspicious sort, having been burned by people who called me friend one day and knifed me the next, but that aside, this sounds really odd to me. I may just be a little, or a lot, paranoid, but I got the impression from reading the LJ entries that this was probably a cop trying to get people to write child porn so they could bust them, probably canvassing fanfic writers, or trolling more like, looking for ones who do write that and getting them to write one then share whatever else they might have like that, and bust 'em for it. Then again, could just be one sick puppy. In either case I'd tell this fool to go suck and egg, or a hippogriffs bum before I'd write something that sick. That's just off, man. Constant Vigilance!!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                    --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, Vern Trumbly
                    <vertru@...> wrote:

                    > odd to me. I may just be a little, or a lot, paranoid, but I got
                    > the impression from reading the LJ entries that this was probably
                    > a cop trying to get people to write child porn so they could bust
                    > them, probably canvassing fanfic writers, or trolling more like,
                    > looking for ones who do write that and getting them to write one
                    > then share whatever else they might have like that, and bust 'em

                    Could be.. though if it was a cop on some sort of sting op, I'd have
                    thought he'd be a little smarter about it rather then yelling abuse
                    at the end. I think I'd be more likely to ask if the victim knew
                    anyone that might write the story for me before giving up.

                    Then again, maybe you're right and the crap at the end is to make it
                    seem as though 'Jeremy' is a nutter instead of a cop of some kind.
                    <shrugs> Since I reported him as spam, I won't be getting any more
                    IM's from him either way, so I don't have to worry about him any
                    more.

                    Brian
                  • Tommy King
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                      He's a nutter, he's been around for several years, always the same M.O. although under various names all of which include Jeremy and Crawford and always similar things, write me a story and then states the specific characters/type of relationship and when the author refuses he becomes abusive.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                        On 3/1/09, Tommy King <tumshie1960@...> wrote:

                        He's a nutter, he's been around for several years, always the same M.O. although under various names all of which include Jeremy and Crawford and always similar things, write me a story and then states the specific characters/type of relationship and when the author refuses he becomes abusive.

                        Tommy

                        British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God

                        That would be the most likely situation. I only said what I did because of the consistency of the requests, and the declining ages. It seemed like the requests and the responses were pre-programmed, so it may have been someone who is not a native English speaker. The other thought I had is that he/she/it is probably either a sociopath, or psychopathic and/or schizophrenic. Sounds like some people my fiance` has described from her work as a psych nurse.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                          Hidy hidy,

                          One thing to suggest this isn't a cop is that any literature or
                          imagery that depicts any person or persons in any form of sexual
                          activity, under the age of consent for various locales, is not illegal
                          unless it is about a real person (one of the reasons celebrities
                          aren't usually allowed) or looks real. In other words, even writing
                          something with two five year olds going at it would not be illegal.
                          Distasteful and disturbing, but not illegal.

                          I found the law about three-four months or so ago, so it may have
                          changed, but it was from a reliable source in conjunction with some
                          stories about related topics. There was a guy who was found to have a
                          lot of lolicon stuff in his home somewhere in Texas and he was found
                          beaten and lightly tortured. o.O' Very odd stuff.

                          Kevin

                          PS: For those unaware and who may want to know, lolicon (also roricon,
                          lolikon, rorikon) is a Japanese term and is basically animated/anime
                          pictures of girls (or hetero stuff) in sexual situations. Officially,
                          they are all above the age of consent where disclaimers are needed,
                          but isn't the case legally. It is explained that fake images, movies,
                          etc cannot accurately be given an age as they can't say it's based on
                          when the image/file is created (such a ruling could potentially force
                          all pornographic materials to be forced to wait 18 years before being
                          viewed, or requiring a reduction in the age of consent) or the subject
                          itself (which then only actually requires a disclaimer and would do
                          nothing to help anyway, leading most governments to doing nothing) or
                          what, so it is legal in most countries, even the US.

                          But basically, that precedent keeps anyone safe, even if they DID
                          accept his requests/demands.
                        • Vern Trumbly
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                            On 3/1/09, third_realm_guardian <third_realm_guardian@...> wrote:

[...]

                            Au contraire mon frer. Sorry to burst your bubble, but we had this discussion a while back on one group or another, and you are quite wrong. In most jurisdictions the creation of anything depicting children under the age of consent in that jursidiction having sex in any form whatsoever with anyone, especially those over the age of consent, is considered child pornography. There have been people convicted of the creation of it because they wrote of their fantasies in their private journal which someone somehow got hold of and turned over to the police for prosecution. Here is a link with a lot of information presenting both viewpoints on the issue. It is slanted toward the internet, but there is mention of a good many other things as well. Take a look at the comments/editorials section for the best info on the subject.

                            http://www.ageofconsent.com/

                            Don't believe me? Go write a story about two 13 year olds getting it on, and advertise it on the net. See how soon you wind up in jail.

                            Frankly, a lot of fanfiction barely skirts the issue and often crosses the line. One well known author removed a story, several actually, from a popular site at the request of the site owner because he, and other authors on there, depicted children in sexual situations under the age of 16 which is the legal age of consent in the jurisdictin where the site owner resides. He, the site owner, could conceivably have been prosecuted for promoting child porn.

                            Here in the US the laws are, at this point, a little more vague, and it depends on where you are and where the server is and a bunch of other stuff. But I would caution anyone who is considering writing a lemon scene to make sure the participants are over 16 or you could be in trouble no matter where you live.

                            In some countries with even more draconian laws the age is 18, and you can be prosecuted just for reading it. And, technically the same is true for those in countries with lower ages of consent.

                            That is one of the reasons I'm not sure I'll ever write lemons again, and the reason that in one of my unfinished story one of the female characters is 15 in part of the story and 16 in the rest. The other two main characters have similar age disparities as well, but it is because I didn't wish to violate laws and intenet guidelines by portraying someone under the age of consent. I had made the changes intending to go back and change it throughout, but then stopped working on the story for whatever reason.

                            I also find it unfortunate that so many people are going ahead and posting scenes of explicit sex on ffn and other non-adult-only sites. While I personally have no problem with that and enjoy a well written lemon as much as the next person, the point is it violates the TOS of the site. By doing so the writer is setting that site owner up for possible prosecution because it is listed as a site acsessible to all and not as an adult only site. For that very reason, and an attack of conscience, I removed my Rising Phoenix and edited all the chapters with lemons before reposting it.

                            A lot of society is coming down hard on child porn for a variety of reasons, so if you write a Harry and Luna story where he's just turned sixteen and she's still fifteen, you are probably in violation of several laws wherever you happen to live. The same would be true if you wrote of Hermione and Harry having sex before his 16th birthday. Just some words to the wise.

                            Vern
                          • third_realm_guardian
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                              Hidy hidy,

                              I checked the site, but I didn't see anything at all that said
                              anything in particular about lolicon stuff or persons who were fictional.

                              Still though, as I said, my information was what I had found
                              specifically about "lolicon". Quite frankly, I'd rather NOT go about
                              trying to Google the legal status of that, or even having the word
                              anywhere in. My Googling abilities are too likely to lead me where I
                              don't wanna be.

                              Again, I say the source appeared legitimate to me, as it was an actual
                              news-reporting website, but I dunno where it was and it wasn't like I
                              cared enough to save the links.

                              If there are any worries with you guys, remember "better safe than
                              sorry". For stories, I'm fine as long as the characters are obviously
                              mentally capable of understanding or it's realistic (ie:
                              experimenting) or something. After all, I've written it like that,
                              but can see the difference between real and fake. Pictures don't have
                              entertainment value. At least not the good kind o.o

                              Adieu, and thankies for clearing things up, Vern. Again, I didn't
                              find anything specific to fictional characters, but I didn't visit
                              every single page.

                              Kevin
                            • Vern Trumbly
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 1, 2009
                                On 3/2/09, third_realm_guardian <third_realm_guardian@...> wrote:

[...]

                                _
                                .

                                 I had looked at it before and seen some of what I talked about, along with that discussion several of us had. I think  that was on Kinsfire's group a few months back. I'm not familiar with lolicon, and if they are totally fictional characters' images I've no idea. I would think that as long as they are not portrayed as and specifically stated to be under whatever appropriate age they would be beyond the scope of those laws. But who knows what some judge may interpret a given law to mean? I was speaking specifically about writing, and how you can get in trouble and not even know you've broken a law. Have to be careful -- Big Brother is Watching!!!