Something that's been bothering me.

  • third_realm_guardian
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hidy hidy,

      I know this isn't the place to do it, and it has absolutely NOTHING to
      do with Harry Potter, but I've gotta question that I haven't been able
      to figure out the answer to anywhere else and am coming here for help.

      In James Bond (with the ice palace thing and the laser in space) and
      one of the Star Wars (no clue which,) and I've seen them in real life
      as well, there is a device that looks like a "rebreather" for those
      who are scuba diving. The difference, however, is that there are no
      air hoses and no tank to strap to your back.

      What are they called, if not "rebreathers", and where the heck can I
      find one?

      Oh... I just figured a way I can tie it into HP. There's a fic,
      "Triple Helix", I think, where Harry uses one as well. It's the fic
      where the Horntail bites his arm off. I've put it in the H/Hr links
      section if you wanna see it. It's a one-shot with a "handi-capable"
      Harry.

      Seriously, though, anyone know where I can get one of those little
      buggers?

      Kevin
    • Tommy King
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
        They are complete fiction, I heard that the British Military approached the makers of the James Bond films after Thunderball as they were interested in how the technology worked only to go away disappointed when they were told it was just special effects.

        Tommy

        British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
          That's odd... I could have sworn they used O2 cartridges, much like
          CO2. That really sucks. I had a lot of fun planned out with one of
          those... *le sigh* Maybe I could make one and get rich... *Shrugs*

          Thankies for the help. Off to the drawing board (literally.)

          Kevin
          Paladeus

          ~"Just because you've killed your inner child, it doesn't mean I have
          to kill mine!"

          --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, Tommy King
          <tumshie1960@...> wrote:

          > They are complete fiction, I heard that the British Military
          approached the makers of the James Bond films after Thunderball as
          they were interested in how the technology worked only to go away
          disappointed when they were told it was just special effects.

          > Tommy
          >

          > British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Vern Trumbly
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009

            <tumshie1960@...> wrote:

            > They are complete fiction, I heard that the British Military
            approached the makers of the James Bond films after Thunderball as
            they were interested in how the technology worked only to go away
            disappointed when they were told it was just special effects.

            > Tommy
            >

            > British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God

            I'm not entirely sure they are fiction, and in fact just looked them up on Wiki (link at the end) I remember reading about them as being used aboard submarines and other watercraft by the US Navy during World War II. I'm fairly sure they were a real device though not nearly as compact as the Bond thing, which was, as Tommy pointed out, pure fantasy. And according to Wiki still in use today. I believe this is like the Scott Air Pack that firefighters use also.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebreathers
            --
            Vern, aka Herman Tumbleweed

            Once you can honestly say, "I don't know", then it becomes possible to get at the truth. - Robert Heinlein
          • Tommy King

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
                On 2/5/09, Tommy King <tumshie1960@...> wrote:

                Rebreathers were used by 'frogmen' in the Royal Navy before the aqualung was invented. there were huge problems as they were easy to damage and a lot of guys died due to the problems.

                Tommy

                .

                According to Wiki, and this correlates with other reading I've done (yes, I Occasionally and shamefully read something not HP related), there have been a number of designs over the years and they are still in use today in many different forms.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5, 2009
                  The problem was they couldn't make the bags strong enough, but with the improvements in technology I can see that having been overcome.